Re: Which port does Caller id use?
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

I have the same issue with my Linksys EA9200 and Quantum Gateway. I have the Linksys as the primary router and the Quantum FIOS connected LAN to LAN to Linksys. Everything works except the caller ID. On my Linksys to add a single port forwarding rule I have the following options which I am not sure what to fill in:

application name

External Port

Internal Port

Protocol

Device IP

Can you assit me with this information? Thanks so much

If you look at this thread you will see I actually configured my setup Netgear lan port to Verizon Wan port.  So the netgear router was the primary router with my network connected to it and the VZ router was the seconday with moca broadband connection disabled.  the netgear was setup as subnet 192.168.0 and the verizon subnet left at 192.168.1

In this setup the vz router only services the STBs which is why I had to forward all the ports to get the guide, backdoor and call forwarding working.

I do not have a manual for your router so can't give you explicit instructions on how to do it however basically they all work the same so application would be user defined, external port would be any, protocol would whatever protocol the vz router is listening on and device ip would be the ip address of the vz router on your router subnet

As posted above 

It's the 63145 series udp.

I took the vz router out of the DMZ on the netgear router and buitl a port forward rule on the netgear to forward udp 63145 - 63147 (3 stb's) to the vz router address and caller id now works with no issues.

It's kind of odd that the stb's show the outside wan address to be wan address to be the verizon dhcp address assigned to the netgear router.

I guess at this point, even though it's apparently not needed, I could forward at the netgear the other couple of port ranges that the vz router is forwarding to the stb's.

Those are tcp 4567 which I would guess is VZ router backdoor as it  forwards to Local Host

and the tcp 35000 series which forward to the stb's incrementing by 1 for each additional stb. so 35000, 35001 etc. I guess the handle vod, guide etc.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see the port numbers for each STB that need to be forwarded so rather than using the STB ip address, I should use the internal router address to forward the rules to? That's where I am confused, to what ip the ports gets forwarded, to the box or the router? I had it originally forward the ports to the box's ip, maybe that's why it didn't work. Also, once I do that, I don't have to restart anything it should work immediately?

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

I see the port numbers for each STB that need to be forwarded so rather than using the STB ip address, I should use the internal router address to forward the rules to? That's where I am confused, to what ip the ports gets forwarded, to the box or the router? I had it originally forward the ports to the box's ip, maybe that's why it didn't work. Also, once I do that, I don't have to restart anything it should work immediately?

As I can't see what you have defined where but I'm guessing you have all the port forward rules defined on your vz router and the STBs have dhcp addresses defined on your router and you have dhcp service disabled on the vz router.

If so then you should duplicate the pf rules that are on the vz router onto your router - hopefully your router has given them the same ip addresses that the vz router has given them.

For the one that has port 4567 on your router you need to change the ip address to the ip address of your vz router - the port 4567 on the vz router points to ip address 127.0.0.1 (local host i.e the vz router) it's the back door for vz tech support to be able to get to see what your network is doing if something is broke.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

On my Linksys router the fields look like this:

On the Quantum router the port forwarding rules look like this:

The Quantum router gives me the ip of the box, the protocol and one port number only.
It shows the name of the service and the protocol
Verizon Fios Service TCP any->63147

I am confused with the ports, verizon forwarding rules only shows one port number, and my router needs two, an internal and an external. So when I try to put that information I don't know which port is internal or external. Or internal and external is the same? I have everything working except the caller id, this may very well be the answer to my prayers! Every box has their own ip and UDP/TCP port which is probable the internal port the port forwarding needs. So what do I write in the external field?

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

On my Linksys router the fields look like this:

On the Quantum router the port forwarding rules look like this:

The Quantum router gives me the ip of the box, the protocol and one port number only.
It shows the name of the service and the protocol
Verizon Fios Service TCP any->63147

I am confused with the ports, verizon forwarding rules only shows one port number, and my router needs two, an internal and an external. So when I try to put that information I don't know which port is internal or external. Or internal and external is the same? I have everything working except the caller id, this may very well be the answer to my prayers! Every box has their own ip and UDP/TCP port which is probable the internal port the port forwarding needs. So what do I write in the external field?

Mke them both the same it's confusing terminology.

Here is a picture of my verizon router pf rules.

I have 4 STBs  Note that all STB are listening on port 63145 though the inbound traffic for the 4 STB is actually coming in on 4 different ports incrementing by 1 from 63145.

If you practise with the creation of pf rules on the Verizon router you will see there are 2 setting for rule creation, basic and advanced.  

Basic allows you set up a simple rule that forwards an inbound port/range to ani p address

Advanced adds the feature of allowing redirection of the inbound port to a different destination port

The source port should always be ANY

Your router seems to have the equivalent of the advanced option as does my netgear and also my dlink.

Very odd that Linksys doesn't seem to allow downloading of their user manual without an account.  The user guid which is downloadable is basically useless.

Here is the pf rule I set up on my netgear router to get caller id working

My netgear router was on subnet 192.168.0 and my verizon router WAN port was assigned as 192.168.0.5.  The router address on it's subnet was 192.168.1.1

So set them bot the same and it should be OK

for the port 4567 on your router build a pf rule with internal and external as 4567 and the ip address of your Verizon router.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for answering my post. You have I believe the same setup as I with four boxes, I have the Fios router connected as a bridge through the LAN ports. The WAN port on the Fios router is not used. I had given the Fios router an ip of 192.168.1.2, turned off DHCP and firewall(don't know if it was really needed).At the end of your post when you say set them both the same, what do you mean?Both subnets should be the same? The NETGEAR rules looks a lot more like a port range forwarding which may work better in my case. I am going to try this setup and hopefully it'll work and I can sleep better tonight. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking time to help me out. Would you mind explaining how did you set up your verizon router? That's probably the most important part of this enterprise of mine, I followed the steps on the dslreports.com website but because those instructions were intended for the actiontec not the Quantum gateway, which is what I have, I have the feeling that's why is not working for me. Although I feel is all the same, as long as I have the same configuration caller id should work, everything else does. These are the instuctions I used to set up my Fios router:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec#15993

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

I meant, on your router, the external and internal port numbers to be the same. which will be fine if you have only 1 stb.  If you have more than 1 stb then you need need to forward all of them but it will get more complex as you will need to determine what port number each stb has been assigned by the verizon router software.

If you look at my actiontec router picture you can see that all the stb are listening on port 63145 that what the address 192.168.1.103:63145    192.168.1.101:63145  etc. means

However the inbound traffic for stb 192.168.101 is actually being received on port 63148 that what the TCP Any -> 63148 means 

so on your router for that same setup you would specify

ip address 192.168.1.101 external port 63148   internal port 63145

Because in my setup the connection was lan to wan it was a simple change on the netgear to forward all the ports to the vz router and let it's pf rules work out where each external port was meant to go to.

I think you might want to try setting it up with your router as primary and the vz router as secondary with a lan to wan connection and see if it actually DOES NOT work as the dslreports faq says that caller id does not work and it most certainly does in my setup.  However as I have no dvr I don't know if that works or not though I see no reason why it shouldn't so long as you forward all the vz service ports refernced on the vz router

I think I should ask Verizon to lend me one of these new quantum gateway routers for a couple of months to test out some of these scenarios as without ever having seen how some of the firmware is set up answering questions like these is somewhat guesswork   LOL

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now I can tell  which port is internal and external.  I have the Linksys as primary and the Fios as secondary connected to the Linksys from LAN to LAN. Can I just unplug the cable from the Fios LAN and put i t in the WAN without having to change settings? I think it is possible  that the rules are not sticking because of the way I connected the fios router to the Linksys.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

Now I can tell  which port is internal and external.  I have the Linksys as primary and the Fios as secondary connected to the Linksys from LAN to LAN. Can I just unplug the cable from the Fios LAN and put i t in the WAN without having to change settings? I think it is possible  that the rules are not sticking because of the way I connected the fios router to the Linksys.

No.

If you connect your router by a lan port to the vz router wan port they will be on different subnets and each router will be a dhcp server for it's particular subnet. Not that that is a problem as the only thing on the vz router are the STB's and you would have forwarded all the vz ports from your router to the vz router.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do you give the verizon router a different subnet? For example, my linksys is 192.168.1.1 and the fios router is 192.168.1.2, can I give the verizon router something like 192.168.2.1 to get a different subnet, then turn DHCP reboot the stb's and then shut down DHCP again? These are the current fios port forwarding rules:imageHow would you create the forwarding rules for my linksys using external and internal ports?

0 Likes