Re: Which port does Caller id use?
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

How do you give the verizon router a different subnet? For example, my linksys is 192.168.1.1 and the fios router is 192.168.1.2, can I give the verizon router something like 192.168.2.1 to get a different subnet, then turn DHCP reboot the stb's and then shut down DHCP again? These are the current fios port forwarding rules:

I'd leave the vz router on subnet 192.168.1 with the dhcp server turned on and allocating 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Make it a static IP using one of the static addr's from the reserved IPs on your router, as below

Then set you router to another private address subnet other than 192.168.1 i.e. 192.169.2  turn the dhcp server on allocating range 192.1.2.2 to say 192.1.2.200  - that will give you 54 addresses reserved for static IPs 192.168.2.201 - 192.168.2.254

If you give the vz router the static address of 192.168.2.254 the build pf rules on your router to forward all the vz rules on the vz router to 192,168.2.254 and then the rules on the vz router will forward them to the correct destination

How would you create the forwarding rules for my linksys using external and internal ports?

You wouldn't need to.  Make the external and internal ports the same and the rules on vz router should work out which port redirect the traffic to 

Interesting that the vz router doesn't show the redirection the way the older routers does.

I'd just forward range 63145-63148 to 192.168.2.254

and                    range 35000-35003 to 192.168.2.254

and                                             4567    to 192.168.2.254

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you!

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

Let me know if it works out for you.

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

So basically the ports that are being forwarded are being opened to router not the actual device or in my case the STBs'. When I gave my router a different subnet than the fios router I wasn't able to log into my fios anymore, can you log in to the router even when the are two different subnets? I am going to try today again, I tried it last night but I forgot to give the fios router a static ip, I thought that by just changing the ip would be enough but it wasn't. These instructions make a lot of sense, I think this is going to work. I notice that when I changed to the new subnet on my router, the boxes came up with the new subnet rather than the fios subnet.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@MickeyS wrote:

So basically the ports that are being forwarded are being opened to router not the actual device or in my case the STBs'. When I gave my router a different subnet than the fios router I wasn't able to log into my fios anymore, can you log in to the router even when the are two different subnets? I am going to try today again, I tried it last night but I forgot to give the fios router a static ip, I thought that by just changing the ip would be enough but it wasn't. These instructions make a lot of sense, I think this is going to work. I notice that when I changed to the new subnet on my router, the boxes came up with the new subnet rather than the fios subnet.

What do mean my logging into myfios?  Do you mean you couldn't logon to the vz router at 192.168.1.1?  if that is correct because there is no route for it, you would need to have a device connected to the 192.168.1 subnet

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I don't know why, maybe because I didn't give the fios router the static ip. I have two ethernet cards on my Mac Pro, on one I have the Linksys and the other card the fios router connected. When I want to log in to the fios router I make the linksys connection inactive and I am able to log in to the fios router. Somehow I wasn't able to do it this time. I am going to try this afternoon to try to log in to te fios router to see if I can give the router the satic ip. How do you have your routers? Do you use different subnets too? Can devices communicate across different subnets? If the boxes are attached to the fios router with a 192.168.1 subnet and DHCP enabled then their ip should be with the same subnet? 

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

I just modified my router setup to a primary and secondary configuration to test accesing from the primary to the sendary - which I think is what you are doing.

As it doesn't work currently, I'm guessing because of a fw issue, I'm tring to get some help via a posted query

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Any-static-routing-experts-here/td-p/776757

to see if anybody knows what setting I need to modify as it is meant to be supported

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

It hasn't worked yet, however I found out that when I port forward the same ports to my internal pc's ip the ports open, when I use the boxes ip's the ports remain closed. So, I don't know which ip's to use to forward these ports. The boxes ips' are given by the primary router, both are on the same subnet but have static ip's. The boxes work fine, dvr, widgets, guide, VOD etc...There is something that I need to do that I am missing that is preventing me from opening the ports to the stbs' so that the on screen caller id can work. Besides the boxes whatt other device gets the ports forwarded?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

When you do your port forwarding entries, are you doing UDP?   Verizon only uses TCP in very rare cases, with older set up's, but is almost exclusively UDP when it comes to Caller ID on tv

0 Likes
StMickey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am doing both for example 35000 I use instead of tcp only I check both. What I don't understand is when I port forward the ports to the internal ip of my pc they open not when I use the boxes ips'.

0 Likes