Which Router to Buy?
hemmingford
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently had Fios (internet only) installed, and with it came the G3100 router. Not wishing to pay $15 per month for this router, I intend to return it to Verizon after buying my own router. Does it make sense to buy a Verizon router from Amazon, eBay or wherever (such as the Quantum Gateway or the Actiontec Fios MI424WR)? I'm thinking that in the event that I have trouble in the future, I will have Verizon equipment, and therefore could receive Verizon support.  It looks like I can find a Verizon router for $100 or less, which is far less than the $300 Verizon G3100.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which Router to Buy?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can really buy any router you want since you don't have TV. Definitely stay away from the MI424WR because it is pretty out of date. It is only 2.4 GHz wifi4(N standard). You also have to be careful buying Verizon routers online. Sometimes they are stolen and Verizon will start charging you a rental when you connect it. You can definitely get a decent router for $150. Just make sure it has dual band wifi, wifi5(wireless AC) gigabit ethernet ports. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can really buy any router you want since you don't have TV. Definitely stay away from the MI424WR because it is pretty out of date. It is only 2.4 GHz wifi4(N standard). You also have to be careful buying Verizon routers online. Sometimes they are stolen and Verizon will start charging you a rental when you connect it. You can definitely get a decent router for $150. Just make sure it has dual band wifi, wifi5(wireless AC) gigabit ethernet ports. 

hemmingford
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for the useful information. I see lots of routers on eBay, but I had not considered that they could be hot--good point. I will probably do as you suggest, and perhaps see what Best Buy has to offer. I'll take along the specs you provided. 

Many thanks!

mrscdbaker

I have both TV and WI-FI with Verizon. What modem/routers would work with FIOS?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@swampfox1 wrote:

I have both TV and WI-FI with Verizon. What modem/routers would work with FIOS?

Since you have FIOS TV, you must use the FIOS router.

This is not say that you can not use your own router too.

0 Likes
Trikein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Check out SmallNetBuilder for router reviews.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes