Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

bbranco

I've been doing some more overnight research,  typically like this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22199838-Outgoing-spam-filter-problem

This has now been going on for months (those posts are from early April).

Same story -- deny, deny, deny on Verizon's part (they told this guy that his email client was corrupted, hah!).

Then you go to a Verizon forum and finally get a decent guy (this poster got "Gustavo" -- we have techman28), and what are you told?

"This is a known issue, unfortunately we do not have a resolution for it at this time. This issue is being worked on by our e-mail group, but there is currently no ETA."

That's a quote from that thread -- sound at all familiar?

I did some more test this morning --five messages sent -- only three arrived.

On a final note -- apparently using an SMTP relay as suggested  by you earlier also does't work -- you're now using one, yes?

I contacted a friend who also told me that -- Verizon's outgoing filters will block your email from that as well.

See this URL:

http://status.dyn-inc.com/dyndns/88/mailhop-outbound-emails-blocked-by-verizon/

Verizon blocks those as well.

Nice.

An ISP and email provider that won't let you send emails.

What a joke.

**edited for typos

Message Edited by EHSFIOS on 06-20-2009 08:40 AM
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
bbranco

I have had no delays with the SMTP solution that I started using - I have been sending every message to myself and I have been getting them all.  They have 4 different ports that you can use, the configuration is straight forward.

Unless they block the actual server name, I don't think they can block the email, its not filtered through their servers. 

I also don't use a Verizon email address, I have my own domain.  I don't know if that makes a difference, maybe they block Verizon's accounts.

The idea of the SMTP solution is you login to their server with a user name and password and it authenticates and they send out the mail.  Same way as Verizon, but their solution works.

You should try it out - it's $24.00 for one year for 1000 messages a month - you can scale it up from there if needed.

The way you test out your internal system is login to the netmail.verizon.net and send e-mail from there, if it's delayed at their web site then it's 100% their problem - not related to your computer, your line, your corrupt files.

0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now here's an interesting one.

I thought of this based on the thread cited directly above.

I just now sent messages from my @verizon.net account out of my email client (Thunderbird) to my Hotmail account, all five messages went through within a minute.

But, only four made it back into my POP3 email account that does not use @verizon.net -- which is also the account that I'm having issues with on the outbound side.

I wonder if Verizon is trying to discourage use of POP3 email, like the make their Blackberrys brain dead on GPS so you pay more for their NAV service.

Which would be totally ridiculous and they are shooting themselves in the foot. People do not want to use an @ISP email address -- that's bush league and so AOL 1996. For example -- I have several domains registered (they happen to be my last name), and those go with me for email from service provider to service provider. I also have hotmail, gmail, and my univerisity account (*.edu) that I POP3 into my email client because I really don't really need to go to four or five different web mail addresses every hour to check for new email.

So if that's Verizon's blocking scheme -- bye bye my business (Techman28, any thoughts?).

It seems to me that Verizon would be better off looking at the quantity of mail being sent to identify SPAM, not the domain name of the account. They will lose a lot of customers otherwise. I typically send an average of about 30-50 messages aday from this computer (and receive the same amount) -- I don''t consider that SPAM and a violation of the terms of service like Emily does.

But of course that doesn't explain why my wife can't get an email to her mother or her sister releiably -- all three have @verizon.net addresses.

What a joke.

0 Likes
Lilia
We've had Verizon for a couple of months - came from Comcast.  I've had several emails show up a day late and one even took several weeks to show up in Outlook.  The latest one was sent Thursday evening and was critical in arriving ASAP.  It just showed up at 12:26 am today - more than 24 hours later.  Don't get me started on TV - it blacks out for 4 seconds at a time - yesterday it was constant for about an hour every minute or so.  I'm close to moving back to Comcast and no, not using Outlook is NOT an option.
0 Likes
fredptheo
When I first changed to Verizon, there were no problems sending or receiving my outlook emails. They arrived almost instantly. But over the past 3 weeks, something changed and now emails are taking over an hour and are being qued up in some location in a Central time zon. The same thing has happened to my blackberry emails. At first when we switched to verizon for cell service, the emails arrived on the blackberry in nanoseconds. Now they are taking a day in some cases. So, the problem did not occur after first signing up for Verizon, but something changed in the Verizon system over the past few weeks.
0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Lilia wrote:
We've had Verizon for a couple of months - came from Comcast.  I've had several emails show up a day late and one even took several weeks to show up in Outlook.  The latest one was sent Thursday evening and was critical in arriving ASAP.  It just showed up at 12:26 am today - more than 24 hours later.  Don't get me started on TV - it blacks out for 4 seconds at a time - yesterday it was constant for about an hour every minute or so.  I'm close to moving back to Comcast and no, not using Outlook is NOT an option.

Lilia --

Welcome to the Verizon FIOS Email Club.

I wish there was something that I could do to help you.

Hey, we all wish there was something that Verizon would do to help us.

FWIW -- I've now had the third Verizon tech support person tell me (this morning's daily call to FIOS tech support) to not use an email program (I use Thunderbird, you use Outlook) , and just use their "WebMail Solution."

They're selling like AOL did back in 1996 -- thriteen years ago -- just log in to VZMail -- "you've got mail!"

Thanks for sharing.

Let's keep the pressure up.

0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bbranco wrote:

I have had no delays with the SMTP solution that I started using - I have been sending every message to myself and I have been getting them all.  They have 4 different ports that you can use, the configuration is straight forward.

Unless they block the actual server name, I don't think they can block the email, its not filtered through their servers. 

I also don't use a Verizon email address, I have my own domain.  I don't know if that makes a difference, maybe they block Verizon's accounts.

The idea of the SMTP solution is you login to their server with a user name and password and it authenticates and they send out the mail.  Same way as Verizon, but their solution works.

You should try it out - it's $24.00 for one year for 1000 messages a month - you can scale it up from there if needed.

The way you test out your internal system is login to the netmail.verizon.net and send e-mail from there, if it's delayed at their web site then it's 100% their problem - not related to your computer, your line, your corrupt files.

Just to confirm, you are using http://www.authsmtp.com in the U.K.?

And Verizon hasn't blocked that yet?

[edit]

It's unfortunate that Verizon appears to be making every attempt to not get the word out, and simply bury and ignore the problem.

Shame..

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 06-20-2009 09:03 AM
0 Likes
EHSFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 3

@fredptheo wrote:
When I first changed to Verizon, there were no problems sending or receiving my outlook emails. They arrived almost instantly. But over the past 3 weeks, something changed and now emails are taking over an hour and are being qued up in some location in a Central time zon. The same thing has happened to my blackberry emails. At first when we switched to verizon for cell service, the emails arrived on the blackberry in nanoseconds. Now they are taking a day in some cases. So, the problem did not occur after first signing up for Verizon, but something changed in the Verizon system over the past few weeks.

fredtheo --

Welcome to the board.

It's incredible, isn't it?

And no help from Verizon -- other than some SPAM emails from them on "useful links" when you try to get help from their "24/7" Tech Support.

Good luck, and "thank you for using Verizon."

0 Likes
bbranco

Yes, I am using http://www.authsmtp.com in the U.K

Tell the moderator Elizabeth S to get the problem fixed and there would not be any board clutter.

Also, tell them that web site also does not send email - tell them it's the same servers...  Maybe they don't know that...

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello bbranco

While I can certainly appreciate your frustration with the issue, as a moderator, I have no role in the services provided by Verizon.  I am here only to help ensure that the boards operate smoothly, and that everyone abides by the TOS defined by Verizon.

Techman has been very up front in answering questions and providing as much information as he has. I expect that any break-throughs or updates will be posted here as soon as they occur.

Regards, ElizabethS

0 Likes