Why Can I Not Get FIOS
cmcigas
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hello ev eryone, for the past several years I really wanted to change to FIOS but everytime I check or call it is still not in my area. Ive tried several address around me and seems like no one has it, nor do friends not too far from me in the same town.

Is this because of mmy town possibly not allowing it or a mistake on verizons side?

If someone can point me into a direction to help me out that would be great, I really want to get rid of Optimum. If it helps, I live in Edison NJ 08817
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Can I Not Get FIOS
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Although never stated specifically it is general knowledge that Verizon stopped expanding it's FIOS installtions some time ago (years actually.) What that means is that if you live in an area where FIOS cables have already been installed you can get a hookup.  Otherwise, you can't.

Apparently (again, never officially confirmed by anyone) Verizon found it too expensive to install fiber cable in places that didn't have easy access to external poles etc.  If you think about it you can understand how digging trenches, getting permits, meeting OSHA & FCC standards, etc. would be a daunting task indeed.  

Additionally, many areas sign exclusive contracts with telecomm providers that make it literally impossible for a new provider to offer service.  That is really a political issue, not a technical or financial one.  (Except if you are one of the politicians who got a campaign contribution.)

An interesting question is how companies like Google are willing to install Gigabit fiber in places that don't have anything other than coax cable.  My guess is that Google has a totally different business model and long-term objective.  

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hi....

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to get an answer to your question, either from users here on this forum or from a Verizon employee.

Verizon has never shared its plans for expansion, nor provided any explanation for those plans or lack of them.  It is what it is. 

cmcigas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thats depressing

Thanks for letting me know!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon announced a long time ago that they are not expanding FiOS into areas they haven't previously committed to building out.  If Verizon never committed to a build out in your area, you won't be getting FiOS.  There are plenty of articles on the web about this.  dslreports.com is a good source, too.

You could contact your local franchising authority to find out if the cable company has an exclusive agreement, that could also be an issue.

Good Luck.

bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Although never stated specifically it is general knowledge that Verizon stopped expanding it's FIOS installtions some time ago (years actually.) What that means is that if you live in an area where FIOS cables have already been installed you can get a hookup.  Otherwise, you can't.

Apparently (again, never officially confirmed by anyone) Verizon found it too expensive to install fiber cable in places that didn't have easy access to external poles etc.  If you think about it you can understand how digging trenches, getting permits, meeting OSHA & FCC standards, etc. would be a daunting task indeed.  

Additionally, many areas sign exclusive contracts with telecomm providers that make it literally impossible for a new provider to offer service.  That is really a political issue, not a technical or financial one.  (Except if you are one of the politicians who got a campaign contribution.)

An interesting question is how companies like Google are willing to install Gigabit fiber in places that don't have anything other than coax cable.  My guess is that Google has a totally different business model and long-term objective.  

djb5
Contributor - Level 3

I keep checking my area for ATT U-verse, guess same issues apply on that. Just have had so much trouble with Verizon customer support that I'm wanting something else. FiOS internet speed is great, but nothing else is.  Oh, yeah, Verizon Forums are great and they do provide the platform for that to exist!

cmcigas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah they dont have exclusive rights to my town/county so guess i am never getting FIOS unless I move or if Google fiber comes around in 30 years.

Thanks for the info everyone

fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

I live in NJ.

In the early 1990's Vz promised to expand high-speed DSL for internet to the entire state of NJ in exchange for a rate increase.  They got the rate increase but the expansion only covered about 65% of the state - and didn't include where I am ion the southern half of NJ (below 195) where the distance to a centrol Office required expensive equiment to reach beyone the then 10000 foot DSL distance limitation.  

In the early 2000's vrizon did the same ploy with a promise of fiber optics bringing high speed communiction throughout the state - in excahnge for another rate hike.  They got the rate hike, but in the early 20-teens the FiOS rollout ground to a halt.

See a pattern???

That said,  I live about 10 miles past the middle of nowhere (cluster of 6 homes and then over a mile to the next home) I could never figure out why Verizon ran fiber down my back country road about 6 years ago but I'm glad they did.  My suspicion is that there must be a high-level Verizon executive living at the end of the fiber!!

KCCowgirl

So sad..... I live in a rural area...we have no internet or TV...only satellite, DirecTV or Dish. Verizon is the only internet service via MI FI...is that a joy. 😉

Verizon will not install FIOS or any other hardwired service in our area either...oh well.

Thank you for the additional information as this explains a lot.

0 Likes
Lindamb305

In our town I think Verizon has made an agreement with Comcast to not bring Fios into our town.  Other surrounding towns with Media Com have Fios.  Our town with Comcast doesn't.  One other town near us with Comcast also does not have Fios. I am sick of Verizon DSL, I hate Comcast, internet never worked.  I will have to figure out another internet service from somewhere. 

0 Likes