Re: Why do I only get 35/15 on a 35/35 plan?
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

That RWIN value is low.

Try what vcorde suggested and if RWIN value is still low, please contact microsoft or pc vendor.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sonia wrote:
Thanks for your help. I'm running Windows 7. When I run Verizon Optimizer it say it needs to optimize Windows and it does so (?). After reboot, same speeds. Sometime I get 4, sometimes 8 and once I got 16, but never anything close to the 35 I should be getting. abhi_col, I followed your advice and links (thanks) and my RWin is 66792. Can that be the issue? Can it be easily changed in Windows 7? I actually do a lot of heavy uploading for my job, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The optimizer won't run on windows 7 as the active-x control needed is not compatible with win7 and fails to install.

If you've manage to get it to run I would very much like to know how you got the add-on HstWebInstall.cab to install as that is what is needed for the optimizer to run.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@viafax999 wrote:

@Sonia wrote:
Thanks for your help. I'm running Windows 7. When I run Verizon Optimizer it say it needs to optimize Windows and it does so (?). After reboot, same speeds. Sometime I get 4, sometimes 8 and once I got 16, but never anything close to the 35 I should be getting. abhi_col, I followed your advice and links (thanks) and my RWin is 66792. Can that be the issue? Can it be easily changed in Windows 7? I actually do a lot of heavy uploading for my job, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The optimizer won't run on windows 7 as the active-x control needed is not compatible with win7 and fails to install.

If you've manage to get it to run I would very much like to know how you got the add-on HstWebInstall.cab to install as that is what is needed for the optimizer to run.

An yes, the famous Optimizer.  I know it well.  Here's about my experience, for what it's worth...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Using-FIOS-optimizer-with-Windows-7/m-p/145604#M10722

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Please remember guys that there are NO registry values that affect upload speeds in windows.

RWIN and all that crazy stuff only affect download speed.  so the optimizer would not help in the case of bad upload speedtest results

to the OP make sure you are testing from speedtest.verizon.net on a HARDWIRED pc.  no wireless. 

and to answer the original question, YES a lot of people get the 35 up speed.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@DRAZY wrote:

Another thing I'd like to mention.

The claim that using an optimizer is somehow going to increase or fix this problem is absolutely absurd. Another ridiculous remark is about these speed test sites not being able to accurately gauge your speeds. Notice that during these tests your download speeds are their upload speed, your upload speeds are their downloads speeds. So testing your downloads and you're getting 35Mbps clearly proves these sites have adequate bandwidth to provide near accurate numbers. In all my technical career I have never seen nor heard of a site or user with faster up speeds than down speeds. Have any of you?

Explain to me how the technician at my home yesterday with his own optimized Windows XP laptop still had the same problem...while directly connected to my ONT. I should also mention that my home is in a brand new community with CAT6 installed throughout the home.  We can easily eliminate old/poor cabling...especially since I was getting 25/15 in consistently before this past weekend. This issue persists on all of the operating systems I run at home - Windows 2008,XP,Vista,7. Mac OSX Snow Leopard, FreeBSD, Ubuntu Linux.  There was no excuses the technician coule make after his visit with me as I'm a very proficient computer user. He actually thanked me for making for being so resourceful and making his job easier.

So...the ball is in Verizon's court. They need to get this issue sorted.

That is actually a true statement  (please remember I am simply discussing the one statement in bold, none of your other remarks are in my thoughts with this answer)

---   Those speedtest sites are questionable at best, I can test from them on a DS3 connection at work and they give me miserably slow upload speed test results almost religiously.  it's only until I click on 8-10 different servers do I find ONE that gives me a good speed test result.    ALWAYS make sure you are using Verizon's Speedtest that way if you get bad results, they can't blame it on another company in saying "well they can't support the speed upload test" which is partly true.  Don't give them that "out" though.   just go to their site and put the ball back in their court immediately. 

Speedtest sites that I use, are as follows

speedtest.net

speakeasy.com

and pcpitstop.com

For Drazy, I suspect his problem is slightly different than the OP And yes the ball is definetly in VZ court, and specifically because the Field Technician went to your house, and hooked up his laptop directly at the ONT.   When connected at the ONT he is cutting off all your house wires, and PC's and isolating the entirety of your house as a potential problem, and he is linked directly into the FiOS connection.

So if you are hooked up ethernet at the ONT instead of MOCA (coax) like most users, then he should have bypassed any router at the location and direct connected laptop to the ONT.  If still unable to get the speeds you should be subscribed too, then he has network technicians that he should have been reaching out to to help him isolate the problem.   

could be the ONT or the network in general on that case.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

---   Those speedtest sites are questionable at best, I can test from them on a DS3 connection at work and they give me miserably slow upload speed test results almost religiously.  it's only until I click on 8-10 different servers do I find ONE that gives me a good speed test result. 

I couldn't agree more. 

Here are my nearest server's results (Dallas; <50 miles):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/690127554.png

Here are my results from a server in San Marcos (250 miles):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/690133239.png

And btw this is with this particular site (http://www.speedtest.net/) getting its act together.  In the past they used a server here in the Dallas area that would give me upload results half that of those from the far far away San Marcos one.  Smiley Tongue

On a positive note, usually if you have bad results you can call Verizon and the tech will run a speed test himself (ok, most of them will anyway, and cheerfully.... Smiley Wink )  If the results are way out of whack, and it's your router they WILL ship you a new one,  Just ask me.  LOL  I'm on my third Actiontec. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

Can you try to upload something and then post what the transfer rate for upload is for any file?

0 Likes
DRAZY

Hubrisnxs - let me clear up what I meant. These test sites can't be discounted for the service they provide in illustrating the line qualities of connection speeds of a particular ISP. In my experience with them (most of them you mentioned) they have shown constant numbers in my speeds.

I have already tested my connection from a remote site on a DS3 connection. The numbers from all the other sites pretty much confirm my suspicions of the problem being on Verizon's side. I had the same tech out again. This time he came out the 1 tier tech he was speaking too had him download the speed test TCP optimizer and run his tests from the ONT. He was getting the same speeds as before with the exception of Verizon's speed test sight (36/32) but he was still getting inconsistent speedson the upload side (6, 9, 17, 22Mbps). What I hate is the engineer he was on the phone with told him if the test showed 36/32 on Verizon site then that's all he could do. That was until I explained I had done my own tests on a DS3 and what the numbers were.He said he would have to put in a ticket to have the issue elevated to a tier 2 engineer. Something about replacing a card the central office that could be causing the problems.BTW....my ONT was swapped out on Monday and my speeds are still the same.

I'm hoping they resolve this soon.

0 Likes
Beazst

Good evening.

Quite a few interesting perspectives on speed sites here - so let's cut to the chase.

One thing we can agree on is that not all speed test sites are created equal or entirely accurate.  It depends on where they are, where you are, how busy the speed test server is and the relative amount of network congestion at the time.  That being said, some days you may have great results, other days you may not.  As the auto industry so cleverly puts it "your mileage may vary."

So what *can* you do to make the most of your throughput on FiOS?

Many posts here talk about changing the RWIN or using Verizon's speed optimizer.  There's a few factors to consider here...

First: Isolation

As with any good experiment it is important to have a controlled environment.  The ideal situation would involve a single computer connected via an Category 5 Ethernet patch cord.  Nothing fancy - a standard 6' cord should do the trick.  If at all possible turn off the wireless (or at least remove the antenna) and disconnect all other computers from the network.  If you have FiOS TV service you may want to turn off your set top boxes.

The reason for this is so that all of your bandwidth will be available for the computer utilized for the speed test. 

If anything is competing with your test computer for bandwidth it will taint the results.

Second: Optimizers, RWIN and Windows 7; Oh my!

Fact:  Your RWIN value is very important - it is your TCP receive window.  There's a very detailed technical (insert yawn here) explanation at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RWIN 

Here's the short version:  not having a big enough RWIN means the computer will receive information in smaller "chunks" and makes inefficient use of your bandwidth.  It determines whether your computer will receive data in "pickup truck" sized pieces and "semi tractor-trailer" sized pieces.  

So...

Now that we know what RWIN is let's talk about the Verizon Optimizer.  Again, the short version:  works great if you're running Windows XP (usually).  If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7; my condolences.  

What's the difference?  Windows XP has been around long enough that many 3rd party "optimizer" tools including the one used by Verizon can easily change the parameters of your TCP stack; specifically the RWIN.

Back to our story...

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users; Microsoft created an "enhanced" version of TCP that includes an auto-tuning feature.  Translation: the operating system isn't too keen on letting you adjust the RWIN out of the box.  For the long and dramatic story you can look it up on Google / Bing or check out these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967475

http://blogs.technet.com/fixit4me/archive/2009/01/14/disable-tcp-auto-tuning-fix-it-live.aspx

What's next?

Well, for starters you may want to look into disabling that auto-tuning TCP feature (directions available at http://support.microsoft.com) and then try setting your RWIN & RTT correctly.  You can borrow the suggested values listed on Apple's site or do the math based on the Wiki page I linked earlier.    

If you have isolated the PC; killed the auto-tuning feature; optimized RWIN & RTT; (insert "reboot your PC" here); and still have trouble hitting top speeds - remember that you may want to try several sites at several times throughout the day to get a mean or average idea of your throughput (note: throughput not bandwidth!).  Personally I like using Verizon's tool along with any reputable 3rd party speed test sites.

Keep in mind that the time of day you elect to run a speed test can be a major factor in your results; particularly if you run the test during peak usage hours (don't forget about other people in time zones behind yours).  

If after all that you still aren't hitting peak speeds - then there may be a provisioning issue.  If you call 888-553-1555 and speak to one of the fine technicians at the FSC (depends on who you get) and explain to them that you've already done the above; they can have your network provisioning checked and corrected.

Good luck and enjoy your zippy FiOS service.  

Hope this helps.  Robot Happy

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Just to revisit this issue. I for one being the tech I am was quick to blame Verizon. I was consistantly getting 35/15 after running one or more optimizers. Be very careful when trying to run any optimizer with Vista or Windows 7. Many are written for XP or below. No matter what anyone says about running something as administrator. Running something as administrator says you absolutly trust the source to be correct in their code writting abilities.

Here is my story. Started out with the Older 610x ONT and it maxes out at 35/29 or perhaps below. I was upgraded to the newer ONT 612 and was getting 35/28 to 35/33 or 32. Well I followed many peoples advice about this optimizer or that one. After about a week with 35/35 I was down to 35/15. Tried everything to get it back to where it was. Final solution was a total reload after I corrupted my registry.

Results to prove a point.

Booted Linux live trial CD to test another OS without installing. Results were 36/37.

Clean drive Vista install, after backing all my data off of it using another PC. No service pack. 35/15 all upates.

Vista SP1 35/15 All updates minus Microsoft's recommended driver updates.

Vista SP2 35/15 All updates minus Microsoft's recommended driver updates.

Vista SP2 36/37 after installing Microsoft's recommended driver updates.

Not sure what un optimized my speeds. But not everything is Verizon's fault. I will be the first to admit that they were right and I was wrong. But it still was not my router, but you must test all with their router or forget about support.

So lessons learned.

1. A manufacture's driver could be older than the one that is provided through Microsoft.

2. Do not run any optimizer without a complete registry back up.

3. Never turn off system protection so you will always have a restore point. If your hard drive is to full by bigger one.

4. Don't always blame Verizon. Oh this might be #1.