Why is my new Windows 10 PC very slow on Wi-Fi????
turboffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a brand new Lenovo computer running Windows 10 and download speed on Wi-Fi is 5 mbps at best with a 75/75 plan, but 75-80 when hooked directly to router (Actiontec MI424WR).  My HP laptop running Windows 8 for comparison is around 35-40 mbps on wi-fi, and is noticably faster.  Verizon support keeps having me run speed tests and resetting the router, but its a waste of time. I've updated drivers and it's still slow.  I see a lot of people complaining about this, but how can I fix it???

0 Likes
Re: Why is my new Windows 10 PC very slow on Wi-Fi????
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since one machines works sort of OK then it's not a Verizon issue so I guess you should discusss it with Microsoft.

If the windows 10 machine is in the same location as the HP machine you could try changing the Lenoova to use the same channel as the HP and see if that resolves the issue.  It wouled sound like either an intererence issue or a driver problem.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

If the windows 10 machine is in the same location as the HP machine you could try changing the Lenoova to use the same channel as the HP and see if that resolves the issue.

Huh?  You don't set or change the channel on the PC, that does not make any sense.

To the OP:  You could try disabling bluetooth on the Lenovo.  This is a Lenovo issue most likely, so contact them.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's helpful to know the model of the Lenovo laptop you have, as well as the wireless card that is installed within the laptop. Also, what model/revision of the FiOS router you have too.

I have noticed a number of new laptops from all brands coming with decent specs, but terrible wireless cards. Unfortunate when 2x2 Dual band wireless chipsets from even Intel, are very inexpensive.

0 Likes
turboffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've already disabled Bluetoooth and that didn't change anything.

It's a Lenovo Ideacentre AIO 700-22 with Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 network adapter. 

"Next-generation wireless connectivity

Connects to your network on all current Wi-Fi standards. Connect to a Wireless-AC router for speed nearly 3x faster than Wireless-N. Gigabit Ethernet LAN port plugs into wired networks"

Intel 2.9 gHZ

4 GB memory

1 TR Hard drive

Windows 10

0 Likes
turboffr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:  disabling WMM in the router seemed to have solved the slow WiFi issue.  Downloand and upload speeds are now comparable to the HP laptop in the same location.  Lastest test was 30/30 which is a big improvement over 5/5

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

If the windows 10 machine is in the same location as the HP machine you could try changing the Lenoova to use the same channel as the HP and see if that resolves the issue.

Huh?  You don't set or change the channel on the PC, that does not make any sense.

To the OP:  You could try disabling bluetooth on the Lenovo.  This is a Lenovo issue most likely, so contact them.

Yes sorry, had a brain f...t or else the Easter choclate rush went to my head.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strange. Usually disabling WMM causes speeds to drop, due to requirements in the Wireless N / AC spec. 

0 Likes