Widgets and Bluetooth not working in my house. Is my 100DL/UL internet to blame? Too many devices?
AmyT1

I can not connect my daughter's Fitbit or connect to one of my TV's widgets. Some of the devices do not connect to Netflix, Amazon, etc. sometimes. However, the connection is fine on some of my devices (laptops and phones). I have approximately 9 devices in my house; is the 100DL/UL enough for all of these?

0 Likes
Re: Widgets and Bluetooth not working in my house. Is my 100DL/UL internet to blame? Too many device
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you are trying them all at once with a lot of streaming, its fine.

To be sure, disconect some of the working devices and see if the non working devices start.

0 Likes
Re: Widgets and Bluetooth not working in my house. Is my 100DL/UL internet to blame? Too many device
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're having Bluetooth issues or connectivity issues, keep in mind that Bluetooth shares the same spectrum as 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi. It uses a very small sliver of that 2.4Ghz spectrum whereas Wi-Fi uses a larger proportion of the spectrum. If you in a very noisy or busy environment, Bluetooth can struggle. It's a short range technology (typically good for several feet at best).

Your router should also be kept away from Bluetooth devices. It is transmitting at a much higher power than Bluetooth does.

Another thing to consider is that some devices have poor RF shielding between the Bluetooth and the Wi-Fi function, even those with hybrid Wi-Fi / Bluetooth cards (very common). This can destroy the performance of the other technology. eg: Bluetooth being enabled causes Wi-Fi to run terribly, even if Bluetooth isn't actively used. So some experimentation here may be required to see if this is an interference and shielding issue. Simply turn off the technology that you're not trying to troubleshoot, in order to troubleshoot the one you're having problems with. If the situation improves, you know what to look for.

Now as for the performance of applications, if you have the G1100 FiOS Quantum router, make sure your devices are connecting to the 5Ghz network for those which support it. That will provide the best connection, and will help ensure the 100/100 FiOS service is fully utilized. If you find that 5Ghz acts up when 2.4Ghz (the network not called _5G with the beginning prefixed with your network name) network is working fine, it may be related to another discussion on this forum about 5Ghz connectivity dropping off.

0 Likes