WiFi at Starbucks
bmh12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its free and supposed to be simple one-click access yet I cant seem to figure it out.  I dl'd wifi client and set up acct.  My pc is a Toshiba NB505 N500BL netbook with Win7 Home Prem.  Help please.

Re: WiFi at Starbucks
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Isn't Internet access at Starbucks now free?  No need for the Wifi Client.  

My last visit to Starbucks all I did was connect to the in-store SSID, open my browser and agee to the T&C's.

Is the problem you are experencing when using the wifi client or have you tried to connect without it.

0 Likes
bmh12
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes its now free at Starbucks.

Maybe thats the problem...trying to connect with the Verizon wifi client.  How do I connect without it? Or how do I connect to the SSID ?  Do I have to somehow remove the Client first  (if so, how?)?  Pretty much need step-by-step as I'm new to the wifi thing.  Thank you for the help!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

WIndows has a built-in utility (as of Windows XP) that will allow it connect to access points. It shouldn't matter if the Verizon Wi-Fi Manager is running or not, though try using the built-in Windows program to connect to it. It can be accessed by clicking on the appropriate icon near the clock (either radio bars with a yellow star, or a PC with a radio wave coming out of it). Give it a shot while at Starbucks.

bmh12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dont have eithjer one of those icons showing.  I do have one with bars....five bars that go from short to tall but no yellow star.  I click on that at Starbucks and cant get on. How do I get those icons in there?  Seems like Im the only one having difficulty with this.  Everything works fine here at home.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bmh1 wrote:

I dont have eithjer one of those icons showing.  I do have one with bars....five bars that go from short to tall but no yellow star.  I click on that at Starbucks and cant get on. How do I get those icons in there?  Seems like Im the only one having difficulty with this.  Everything works fine here at home.

Uninstall the VZ wifi client from control panel add/remove programs, in win7 and vista I believe that is called program features. 

You should then be able to connect in Starbucks by using the wireles adapter properties that will show you the available wireless access points and you should just have to click on one of them.

0 Likes