Wifi Connect is a scam?
nyczhenry

have spent about 3 hours on the phone on hold and transferred to multiple departments, escalated and finally today, they hung up on me getting transferred.

what is up with Wifi Connect? It is a service that they advertise on the company site and mailers, yet no one can help getting access and most of the agents have no clue what it is. 

Ive tried following the directions to register, but the prompts are not as outlined. 

Anyone know who to contact? I'm tired of using my limited wireless data

0 Likes
Re: Wifi Connect is a scam?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi connect only works on computers.

Isn't supported on phones.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nyczhenry wrote:

have spent about 3 hours on the phone on hold and transferred to multiple departments, escalated and finally today, they hung up on me getting transferred.

what is up with Wifi Connect? It is a service that they advertise on the company site and mailers, yet no one can help getting access and most of the agents have no clue what it is. 

Ive tried following the directions to register, but the prompts are not as outlined. 

Anyone know who to contact? I'm tired of using my limited wireless data

Let's put your mind at ease. Like the cable companies you are supposed to use wifi connections at select sites. Where they are you can throw a dart at a board. 

Yes once you find one theoretical you just log on with your fios credentials and instant free wireless.

this can be done with phones, laptops or any device that uses wifi.

however just like cable getting connected is a real hassle. So don't even bother. I have yet to connect to Verizon network or when I had cable, theirs either.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Let's put your mind at ease. Like the cable companies you are supposed to use wifi connections at select sites. Where they are you can throw a dart at a board. 

Yes once you find one theoretical you just log on with your fios credentials and instant free wireless.

however just like cable getting connected is a real hassle. So don't even bother. I have yet to connect to Verizon network or when I had cable, theirs either.

No. Verizon Wifi connect can only be used on laptops.

Here is a clip from their FAQ:

Verizon Wi-Fi* is a service that enables qualified Verizon Fios or High Speed Internet subscribers to access the internet at thousands of public places known as Wi-Fi hotspots with their laptop computers.

I have used WiFI connect in the past. But most airports (the most common place where it was available) have free wifi eliminating the need.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

No. Verizon Wifi connect can only be used on laptops.

Here is a clip from their FAQ:

Verizon Wi-Fi* is a service that enables qualified Verizon Fios or High Speed Internet subscribers to access the internet at thousands of public places known as Wi-Fi hotspots with their laptop computers.

I have used WiFI connect in the past. But most airports (the most common place where it was available) have free wifi eliminating the need.

One part of your link.

[Quote]
5. What is a hotspot?

A hotspot is a specific area that offers Internet access for a laptop or netbook using a wireless signal. Access to the Internet on other wireless-enabled devices, such as PDAs, will be available in the future. Hotspots are often found at restaurants, airports, hotels, coffee shops and other public places.

[EndQuote]

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3678200?start=0&tstart=0

The above link now states the Verizon hotspots do allow other devices to use the Verizon/Boingo service. However you must realize that today you don't need to use a proprietary network with software set up like Verizon uses. With all the free and paid wifi/data who would need it from Verizon.

i use T-Mobiles data on my iPads and that covers us when we travel away from free wifi sites. 

To have to place any program/app to access Verizon's wifi hotspots just like with cable is crazy.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

To have to place any program/app to access Verizon's wifi hotspots just like with cable is crazy.

Agreed.

What the cable companies do, is they offer up an app which one can use to find Hotspots. But also, the app allows for mobile devices to be automatically configured to connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot 2.0 (Secure) location without having to have the person manually connect the first time.  Verizon's situation is similiar but I can't say that I have used it before. But the app isn't required.

Beyond that, the Cable companies use a  Captive Portal to allow users to sign in. Verizon does as well, and I've used such to allow me to get onto Airport Wi-Fi networks without having to view Advertisements, or deal with throttled speeds.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume Verizon uses the app is because they they are using another companies hot spots. I have seen some of the others where the SSID is actually for the cable company.

And I don't believe that Verizon users have access to all Boingo Hot spots.