WiFi drops when the phone rings
ArdRi6
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wifi dies when my wireline phone rings. But only occasionally. It takes about 10 minutes for the wifi to return. The router shows that the wifi is working. I switched to FiOS Quantum a few months ago.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi drops when the phone rings
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ArdRi6 wrote:

My wifi dies when my wireline phone rings. But only occasionally. It takes about 10 minutes for the wifi to return. The router shows that the wifi is working. I switched to FiOS Quantum a few months ago.

If your "wireline" phone has a cordless handset it's probably channel interference.

Try changing the channel the router is using for wifi.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ArdRi6 wrote:

If your "wireline" phone has a cordless handset it's probably channel interference.

Try changing the channel the router is using for wifi.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just an extra note:

Cordless phones which are stated to be "DECT 6.0" operate on the 5Ghz Range. Other phones also operate on 2.4Ghz, and will usually say that they do.

In almost all cases, these phones will bounce between all channels on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (again depending on the handset) in rapid succession. Your router could be viewing this as interference and shutting down the radio until it thinks it is clear. This should hold true especially if the phone is very close to your router. Sometimes a way around this is to force the router to not use Auto Channel Detection, but to instead stay locked to a channel at all times.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Smith6612....DECT 6.0 phones operate on 1.9 GHz and thus shouldn't interfere with wifi.

Cordless phones used to operate on 2.4 GHz but man, I haven't seen one of those in a long time.

If the OP does indeed have a cordless phone they should definitely check to see what frequency it uses.  But I think it would have to be pretty ancient for it to be on 2.4 gigs.

ArdRi6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good catch! Sleepiness while flying at 20,000ft will do that to ya 🙂

0 Likes