WiFi on Channel 11 router freeze
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I would like to use WiFi on Channel 11 as it is less crowded in my area, but as soon as I change the channel from Automatic to 11, the device seems to freeze, and even my wired connection to Internet gets disconnected and does not come back up, and I am not able to access the router from wired computer. Turning the device off and back on does not help.

Only after several tries to reset the router to default settings using Reset button on the back I am able to access it again, but as soon as I change the channel from Automatic to 11 the same happens.

I use the router in Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n) with WPA2.

Firmware Version: 40.21.18

Model Name: MI424WR-GEN3I

Any ideas what could cause this issue?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi on Channel 11 router freeze
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi maestro,

Thanks for reaching out to us. In a situation like this, looks like you have a possible defective router and we'd like to help you get this resolved as soon as possible. We will be sending you a chat link via PM. Once you've checked it and received the link, click on it and it will bring you into a secure chat with us.

Thanks,

CJH

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your response.

What is PM, private message?

I have not received anything yet.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If a new router does not resolve this issue, it's possible that Channel 11 is also very noisy. I've found in my case, using Channell 11 does give better performance... until the microwave is used. Then any device near the microwave starts to see degraded speeds, link rates, and packet loss.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry about that, maestro.

The link should now be in your PM inbox.

~Eva

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I worked with support technician who remotely reset the router to factory settings.

Then I reconfigured all the settings according to my needs, except when I changed the wifi channel from Automatic to 11, I forgot to check "Keep my channel selection during power cycle" checkbox.

After I thanked technician and let him go, I rebooted the router and when I checked the wifi settings after reboot I noticed that I have not have the mentioned above checkbox checked, and obviously my wifi channel selection was back to Automatic... Well, I am just going to leave it at channel 11 without "Keep my channel selection during power cycle" checkbox checked, as I suppose that checkbox caused the issue. Do not want to waste more time on this.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I just had all my connections (wired and wifi) disconnected and could not get into the router using a wired PC until I powered the router off and back on. It obviously came back up with wifi channel set to Automatic. I am going to get a technician online again and request a new router...

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your input. I do not think it is relevant to the issue I am having though.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I was eventually told that my router "does not sync properly" and waiting for the replacement.

0 Likes
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1

I received the new router. It was the same model and had the same firmware version that my current router. It worked fine, although it came all scratched and looked abused by previous owner.

I modified password, SSID and WPA2 pre-shared key successfully and it was working fine. As soon I changed the wifi channel from Automatic to 11, checked "Keep my channel selection during power cycle" and clicked Apply, my wired and wifi devices lost connection and the router stopped responding.

After over 5 min wait time I tried to reset the router to default settings holding the Reset button for 10 sec, but it would not work as the router would not reboot, after several tries I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back, the router came back up with all the default settings and I could use it again with my wired computers.

This tells me that there is a wifi related bug in the firmware version 40.21.18 on MI424WR-GEN3I routers.

I am going to return the router that was sent to me as a replacement, because like I mentioned above it looked abused by previous owner and behaved exactly like my current router.

0 Likes