Re: WIFI Speed
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

On the contrary, having bad uplink on what should be symmetrical (even if half duplex in the case of Wi-Fi) is something that will kill your performance. Upload is just as important as the download.

Have a source for that?  If true, every cable internet customer in the US would have their perfomance killed as you put it.  Comcast, TWC, Charter, Suddenlink etc etc, none of them offer up speeds that are anywhere close to down speeds.

Dan_Spo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I have had Fios for about 2 months now. And here are 2 screencaptures I did on speedtest.net. The first is from 2 days after starting service. The second was from about an hour ago:

2 days after starting service:

Today:

It seems I've gone back to having DSL.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is possible that something is causing interference on your wifi.

Or an issue across Internet.

Run test to speedtest.verizon.net.
That will test your speed within the Verizon network (which is all Verizon can control).
If that still gives poor performance, you need to check your wifi.

If you have an android device, download an app called wifi analyzer.

If can show you a lot of info about your wifi performance.

If you don't, try logging in to router and chaning channel.

Default is usually auto which may not give optimum performance.

Try changing channels to see if peformance improves.

What model router do you have?

NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
My problem with speed from modem and wifi was solved when I switched modems. I got a quantum G1100 and my speed from the modem and wifi are about the same. I get 100 up and 100 down which is what I am paying for. The wifi increase I believe is because the Quantum has 5.0 GZH and with my building there are a lot of interference. Even now my 5.0 gets very weak when I try to use it on the second floor (modem installed on first floor). I solved the slow wifi upstairs by adding an access point.
Dan_Spo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the tips! Read up on things and I didn't realize that our router supported both 2.4 and 5 ghz. Switched to the 5G and my speeds are right back to where they were when I first connected!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI FiOS does not use modems. The device you are referring to is a router.

0 Likes