Wii will not Update over FiOS (Actiontec MI424-WR rev C)
wdm43450

Unbelievably Frustrated...

Wii CAN ACCESS internet just fine over FiOS (wifi), News, Weather etc.

However all attempts to complete a Software Update fail (Wii error code 32004).

After hours upon hours of tech support and research I am no closer to finding a solution. Even purchased a USB-Ethernet adapter for the units to rule out WiFi issues (can't count the number of times I've been told to change the WiFi broadcast channel - even when the tow devices are side by side).

Is it possible the issue is not in fact my router, but the local optical aggregation and routing (i.e. leaving my neighborhood).

I have literally tried every thing thrown my way, any new ideas

Changing the Broadcast channel - tired it

Changing the transmission speed - tried it

Static IP - tried it

Port Forwarding - tried it

Wireless versus Ethernet directed to the a LAN port on the Acitontex - tried it

Relaxing the Firewall rules - tried it

Resetting the router to factory defaults - tried it

On neighbors FiOS router - tried it

About the only thing I've not tried is another ISP

0 Likes
Re: Wii will not Update over FiOS (Actiontec MI424-WR rev C)
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Puzzling why your Wii can access other online services but not the update.   I wonder if it's not a flaw in the Wii.  Have you tried Nintendo tech support?

FWIW, I have an Actiontec Rev E but my wifi is through an external DLink DIR-601 router configured as a 802.11n WAP.  I was able to update our Wii without problem.

It seems unlikely that you're running into some weird kind of network routing problem but just in case, do you have a friend or neighbor that has another ISP you could try?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

my wii struggles on any type of encryption other than WPA AES   is that what you're using when wireless?   that should be satisfied when you hardwire it.  I would double check with the Wii Forums and the Wii tech support.   

Q.  "Is it possible the issue is not in fact my router, but the local optical aggregation and routing (i.e. leaving my neighborhood)."

A.  Unlikely   (possible but very low percentage)

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Don't know what means "struggles,"  but my Wii seems to work ok with my WPA2-AES wifi.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

struggles means I can't get it to work on wep or wpa or wpa2 tkp  

it only works on wpa2 aes like yours.

if the OP doesn't have it on that, then maybe they should try putting it on there for a test.    that should have been ruled out when he hardwired it, but my wii doesn't have ethernet ports so I am not sure how he hardwired it. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The hardwire connection is probably with one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2au3yzf

Since the OP said his Wii can connect to the Internet for other functions I'm skeptical his problem is related to anything besides a Wii itself problem. 

Having said that, I haven't seen any changes worth noting in the latest Wii update.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

speaking of which, I should probably update my wii today

😛

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'd be interested to hear if you see any difference after the update.

Personally, I can't believe that there isn't a Wii-2 yet, with High Def output.  But that's a little o/t.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Other than whats already been mentioned, the only other thing I can think of that may be an issue is that the WII update site my have a block on the Verizon IP address. Similar to what Samsung had in the other forum section a couple of months ago. Where the update site has a block on a block of IP addresses that Verizon purchased.

If thats the case, then you would need to contact WII support and see if they can remove the block.

But honestly, this is a bit of a reach. Its not likely but its the only other possiblity I can think of other than whats already been suggested.

0 Likes
hg907

had the same problem my router was set to G

set your router to b and g not just g

wii works on b

0 Likes