Will I ever get capped with Verizon Fios Internet?
OCNBlitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I am switching from cablevision to Verizon Fios because cablevision ended up capping me in the past and my internet would randomly turn off or just screech to a halt.

I stream HD video on websites like ustream and justin.tv and use a lot of upload bandwidth, and was wondering if I would ever be capped or if there is some limit that is not publicly advertised.

Thank you.

I also have the 35/35 internet bundle if that matters, which I got specifically for this purpose.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will I ever get capped with Verizon Fios Internet?
prisaz
Legend

@OCNBlitz wrote:

I don't pirate things...What I do is stream my computer screen on justin.tv while I am playing a video game, and I stream this in 1080p.

If what you said about it truly being an unlimited, uncapped internet..then wow, great service.

Never said you did. I just said it was a good post that references the entire idea of CAPs. I think many providers Put caps in place because they want you to get your content from them. Such as Comcast and some other. Others just can't handle the bandwidth. I have been on FiOS since it first was launched and I have never heard of bandwidth issues where Verizon couldn't handle it. There are many legitimate reason for P2P and not just for pirating.

"But in subsequent conversations with Verizon, Broadband Reports has learned that Verizon is neither booting people from the network for excessive use (common among carriers like Comcast or Qwest), nor have they booted any users who receive one too many DMCA letters."

Enjoy your FiOS and lets hope it never comes to that. They do reserve the right to limit your connectivity if you cause issues on the network, Like that post said it has never been done that I know of.

Here is a link to a search I did on CAPS. Lots of good discussions here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=CAPS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have never heard of it mentioned that Verizon would implement caps. I too have 35/35 and the Ultimate bundle.

Here is a good post.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Verizon-Is-NOT-Booting-P2P-Users-Off-Of-Network/m-p/14910...

0 Likes
OCNBlitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't pirate things...What I do is stream my computer screen on justin.tv while I am playing a video game, and I stream this in 1080p.

If what you said about it truly being an unlimited, uncapped internet..then wow, great service.

prisaz
Legend

@OCNBlitz wrote:

Never said you did. I just said it was a good post that references the entire idea of CAPs. I think many providers Put caps in place because they want you to get your content from them. Such as Comcast and some other. Others just can't handle the bandwidth. I have been on FiOS since it first was launched and I have never heard of bandwidth issues where Verizon couldn't handle it. There are many legitimate reason for P2P and not just for pirating.

"But in subsequent conversations with Verizon, Broadband Reports has learned that Verizon is neither booting people from the network for excessive use (common among carriers like Comcast or Qwest), nor have they booted any users who receive one too many DMCA letters."

Enjoy your FiOS and lets hope it never comes to that. They do reserve the right to limit your connectivity if you cause issues on the network, Like that post said it has never been done that I know of.

Here is a link to a search I did on CAPS. Lots of good discussions here.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=CAPS

0 Likes
OCNBlitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your responses, especially at this early hour.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

There was a big discussion on this last year. Especially when Frontier and Comcast started all their capping and traffic shaping. Verizon's Official response was that there is no current plans for capping or traffic shaping anywhere in the foreseeable future. However, they did leave it open so that if they need to, they still can. So it boils down to, they have no plans to do so and right now they have no reason to. But if there should ever come a time where they need to, they reserve the right to do so.