Will my current router and WiFi card get the most out of 50/25 or 75/35 internet?
Adorey

Hello,

My family's likely going to switch to Verizon from TWC since I'm not getting quite as much out of 15/1 internet as I would like to.

My question is basically asking if I need to get a new WiFi card or router to keep up with either 50/25 or 75/35 internet as we're going to be choosing one of those serives from Fios.

I currently have a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

and TP-LINK WDN4800 WiFi card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

So again, if anyone knowledgable can tell me if my router and wifi card will allow me to get the maximum out of whatever serive we choose (50/25 or 75/35), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Will my current router and WiFi card get the most out of 50/25 or 75/35 internet?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

More than likely, not using Wireless. As to why, I point you to http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

0 Likes
Re: Will my current router and WiFi card get the most out of 50/25 or 75/35 internet?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Both pieces of hardware will work and get great speeds.

The initial question is are you using FiOS TV too, or just Data,

If it's just data, then ask the FT to install it with ethernet (or run your own ethernet cable to your router) and then don't use the Verizon Router at all.

If you have FiOS TV Too then you'll need to use the verizon router, which means you can still use your router, but you'll have to connect/configure it in this fashion. 

See the following FAQ

0 Likes
fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

That router is a beast.  I use it, and from 3 floors away from the other side of my house, I'm getting 85/85 on speed tests from the 75/75 package over WiFI (5ghz channel)

If you have an N card, you should be able to fully utilize the 75/35 (now 75/75) speeds.

As previously stated, if you don't have Verizon cable services, ask for the Copper ONT port during installation and you're golden just using your Netgear.

In a standard FiOS setup where they put you on the Coax/MoCa, you're going to disable WiFI on the actiontec router they gave you, and plug your router into one of the LAN ports of the actiontec.  Most important thing in this case... get the Actiontec N router.  The Non-N router doesn't have Gigabit ports on it to daisy chain your netgear router off of. 

0 Likes
Adorey
Thanks for the replies, guys. Got one last question though.

I'm only going to have an internet service through Verizon, not TV or phone or anything else.

@Fenix said that all I'd need to do is ask Goethe copper ONT port, is that all I need to do? Just buy the router that Verizon says I need and do that, hook it up to my Nighthawk and we're good to go?

Also I should be able to get the full now 75/75 off of wifi with my wifi card right?

Just double checking everything.
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

You will only get those speeds for sure if you use an Ethernet connection between your router and your PC.

To maximize your speeds using WiFi depends on other factors.  

If you have devices that use 2.4 Ghz N   then getting 50% of  your contracted rate will be doing well.   With 5 Ghz clients  you will do better connecting in the same room and perhaps the next depending on what your construction is.

Most phones and tablets won't get the same speeds as a PC because they have weaker processors, less RAM   and usually crummy WiFi receivers with minimal antennas.  

To have the best WiFi everywhere in your home will require multiple APs connected by Ethernet, MOCA or Ethernet over Powerline to your primary router because as I previously mentioned most WiFi clients aren't that great and having  a super dupper router doesn't help that much.

0 Likes
Adorey

My only problem is that I can't route the ethernet cable to my room (despite it only being 30 or so feet from the router across the hall).

Are there any options to get an ethernet-like connection or even the same ethernet connection but without routing a wire from my computer to the other room?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The Actiontec modem from Verizon has MOCA built in.   If you don't have a coaxial cable outlet where you want to move the router look at the options for using Powerline.

If the distance is only 30 feet though you should look at running a cable.  If you can't do it it will probably cost less to have an electrician/ network cabler do it than the cost of trying to solve your problem by buying a super duper expensive router. 

0 Likes
fenix1792
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't agree with most of what has been said in this post, so here is my two cents:

1.  Without the cable service, you can have the ONT utilize the copper/ethernet, and things will work just using your nighthawk router.  Technically Verizon will not support this though, they require their device.

If the ONT is utilizing the Coax, you will need a verizon router, period.  Then, daisy chanin your night hawk off of it.

Verizon may install one of their routers either way, simply for supportability, but you should be able to switch it out with yours without any issues when they leave if you're on the copper/ethernet ONT. 

Note:  daisy chaining your router off theirs requires some special configuration.

2.  You DEFINITELY CAN get full usage of the 75 speeds over wireless.  The other poster is right that some things factor in, signal, etc, but it should be fine.  I have no issues personally.  You said 30ft, which is more than close enough for that router to perform.

3.  Even Verizon's router should give you full speeds over wireless as long as you get the 'N' one.  They try and charge $99 for it now.

4.  The nighthawk support my 3 story town house @2800+ sqft and high ceilings, max speeds on capable devices.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I'm glad that you can get full speed using WiFi but I would guess you are the exception.   If you search this site and most other networking sites one of the most common questions, complaints, **bleep**, rants is poor WiFi speeds and distance.

I have several routers and using their 5Ghz radios and external a good USB adapters on my PCs I once in awhile can get 55Mbps download speeds measured Speedtest even when the link rate shows 144Mbps or higher.    Sometimes I can get the speed a litttle higher if I measure the speed on my LAN using LAN Speed test.   With Ethernet even over a MOCA link I routinely get 75 - 85 Mbps using Speedtest and maybe 90 on my LAN but the NIC card is then the limiting factor.

Use WiFi for convience and Ethernet if you want maximum speed.

0 Likes