Will turning off the router at night cause my wifi to be unstable overtime?
Guj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am considering turning off my Verizon router G3100 at night to reduce emf exposure? I have been having increasing migraines since installing this router eight months ago and while I do not know if emf radiation is the issue, I would like to just try turning the router off at night. However I have read online the router is really design to work 24/7 and temporarily unplugging it everyday could cause issues.

So does any one know if turning off the router by simply unplugging it will cause my wifi to become unstable/slower overtime or will cause the router to eventually break?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Will turning off the router at night cause my wifi to be unstable overtime?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Frequently turning electronic devices on and off shortens their lifespan, but you do have a health consideration, which should take the most precedence.

I do find a peer-reviewed article on PMC. It seems low-frequency RF exposure does sometimes correlate with worsening migraines. I will put the DOI here for others' curiosity and convenience. 10.19082/3445 

jonjones1
Legend

@Guj wrote:

I am considering turning off my Verizon router G3100 at night to reduce emf exposure? I have been having increasing migraines since installing this router eight months ago and while I do not know if emf radiation is the issue, I would like to just try turning the router off at night. However I have read online the router is really design to work 24/7 and temporarily unplugging it everyday could cause issues.

So does any one know if turning off the router by simply unplugging it will cause my wifi to become unstable/slower overtime or will cause the router to eventually break?

The major issue would be that on resumption of your internet back on the odds are some of your devices may get different addresses . 

EMF Exposure: Danger Levels, Symptoms, Protection, and More (healthline.com) 

this site will tell you that there is nothing to be concerned as far as many household devices, like routers.

I would just leave it on. It probably is not the issue of your headaches.

Guj2

Thank you, you point out a problem that comes up when turning the Verizon wifi router off at night. I have been doing it for some time using plug in timer that disconnects my router at midnight and then turns it back on at 7am.  The issue has been after several days or weeks with everything working ok then one day my devices can no longer connect to wifi and I have to plug the router off completely and plug it back in, then every thing works again. I assume this is because my devices get different addresses. Wonder if there is a way to avoid this issue to be able to keep router on plug in timer indefinitely?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could the router be relocated to an adjacent room? 🤔

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder what's going on with that. Normally, rebooting the router, even if unplugged for a while, should begin the network in a fresh state. Is the router showing any unusual light pattern or color that it doesn't show when the Internet is working properly?

slp99
Enthusiast - Level 1

To turn off all WIFI signals from a Fios router, either 1) unplug it or 2) disable the WIFI signal that is being utilized through the Router Settings and call a Verizon office to have the Verizon "Hidden Network" manually turned off.  Otherwise, the Verizon "Hidden Network" WIFI signal will continue to be transmitted  in your home or office.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!