Wired Internet connection keeps dropping, and got worst with new upgraded router
LamK_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I noticed my internet connections on my wired devices lost internet connection intermittently, maybe once a day. I called Verizon support and gone through the painful steps to get to a live person. I was told I need to upgrade my router with additional $6 monthly fees. I don't have much choice as the support won't offer a reason for why the drop happens.

So I ordered the new router and went to the Verizon store to pick it up.

Now, my problem got worst.  With the new router, My wired connection get drop 5 or more times every day.

I called support back and gone through the testing again and factory reset. Nothing solved the issue.

Is anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired Internet connection keeps dropping, and got worst with new upgraded router
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are the steps to access the logs in the G3100 router:

. Open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar

. If you receive a warning that the connection isn't private, click "Advanced"

. Click on Continue to 192.168.1.1 (Unsafe)

. Enter the Administrative password found on the rear plate of the router.

. Towards the top of the screen click "Advanced".

. Select System Logging.

The various logs will be displayed on the screen. 

View solution in original post

Re: Wired Internet connection keeps dropping, and got worst with new upgraded router
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

To help get the ball rolling, could a description of the wiring used and maybe some pictures of the setup be posted?

Some questions:

Is the router connected to the ONT using Ethernet or coaxial cable?

If coaxial, are splitters all rated MoCA 2.0 or higher?

If subscribed to Verizon Digital Voice and/or television, are those services being interrupted at the same times that the Internet drops?

Are there any visible alarms on the ONT when the Internet drops?

Some of the router's logs might yield some clues.

LamK_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Dexman,

The router is connected via coaxial cable.

I'm not sure if rated of the coaxial as it was installed by Verizon technician some time ago.

The TV and phone were not affected. but my work laptop which connected via wired and WiFi get dorp and reconnected often.  Devices that are connected WiFi only seems to be fine.

The ONT is installed at my basement near the Fios entry point. I just checked the ONT, no alarm and the green power light is on.

The router is brand new which I got from the Verizon store 2 days ago. Where would I find the router log?

Thanks.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here are the steps to access the logs in the G3100 router:

. Open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar

. If you receive a warning that the connection isn't private, click "Advanced"

. Click on Continue to 192.168.1.1 (Unsafe)

. Enter the Administrative password found on the rear plate of the router.

. Towards the top of the screen click "Advanced".

. Select System Logging.

The various logs will be displayed on the screen. 

LamK_86
Enthusiast - Level 2

The system logging was disabled.  I just enabled it and waiting for the next drop happens.