Wired internet with router downstairs
bawul

I have a nighthawk router on the first floor connected to an Ethernet port in the wall (I presume that provides the internet from the device outside?) which provides wifi and Ethernet access to other devices such as my tv. 

I need wired high speed internet upstairs for my desktop pc and running a long Ethernet cord from downstairs is not an option. There is no Ethernet port upstairs but there is a coax connection in the wall.  Is this issue resolved simply by connecting a coax-to-Ethernet adapter and connecting my pc to that? I have pictures but there is no place to upload. I’m new to the forums so thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Wired internet with router downstairs
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is easier if you have a Verizon router, perhaps.

What speed do you want at the PC? Assuming gigabit for "high speed internet."

Do you have a coax port near the router? Where are the coax terminals? In the basement?

You need to spend around $80-120 on this project. You simply need a pair of MoCA adapters with at least Bonded MoCA 2.0 protocols.

You can buy two used WCB6200Q (Actiontec/Verizon brandings are fine) on Ebay for around $80. WCB6200Q has two ethernet ports and 802.11ac 4 x 4 MIMO WiFi (you don't have to use the WiFi, but it should deliver 400Mbps+). Or buy two ECB5240M from Verizon at Fios Network Adapter for $110 plus tax. ECB5240M has four ethernet ports, probably overkill for connecting one device. The box comes with one yellow ethernet cable, two coax cables, and a 2-way splitter (multiply by 2 for a pair). Packages from Ebay probably won't include these, you need to spent another $10-20 for buying the accessories.

jonjones1
Legend

I know you said running the Ethernet from downstairs to up stairs was not desirable but it is quicker and you can buy your own cables and run it yourself or have an electrician do the drilling of your bought ethernet cabling. I know a friend of mine simply drilled a hole ran the Ethernet in a corner and pulled it to its location. You can also have this done going up from outside.

there are ways of hiding the cables so it is not unsightly. But that is up to you.

with that coaxial already in the wall plate, is it connected to your router in the downstairs? If not all that connecting this to a adapter and splitter may just be a waste of time and money. Also you don’t need to buy Verizon equipment but let the guy at the computer or electrical store sell you what you need. You could save money.

0 Likes
bawul

I have bought a pair of  actiontec ECB6200KIT01 moca adapters (pricey lol) from bestbuy to pick up later. I noticed that the first floor living room with the Ethernet connection has no coax connection in the wall anywhere. But I noticed there’s a box on the wall outside where a coax comes out and hits a splitter. From there, one coax seems to go to a box where an Ethernet cord comes out and goes into the first floor wall(which I assume is hooked up to my nighthawk router). The other coax from the splitter seems to run up the wall outside. I’ll have to check when I get home and grab a ladder to see where it goes.   It’s confusing why upstairs has a coax connection but no Ethernet port, and downstairs has an Ethernet connection and no coax connection.  

0 Likes
bawul

I couldn’t find a coax port near the router on the first floor. There is no basement.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then this is a quite difficult situation. You might need to look into PCIe 4 x 4 MIMO WiFi expansion cards for your PC. This will deliver around 800Mbps+.

bawul

I just thought that maybe the coax port upstairs already has internet running through it by somehow sharing it with ont coming from the splitter? I was hoping that I could just put in a moca adapter upstairs into coax port and get internet from it? 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, for three reasons. Since you are using your own router, the ONT's ethernet port is connected to your router, and therefore the MoCA function on ONT's coax port is disabled. It can only be MoCA or ethernet, mutually exclusive. Second, the connection comes out of the ONT is WAN, unless you buy business subscription, you won't be able to connect two devices simultaneously to the ONT without a NAT provided by a router. Third, the MoCA on the ONT caps at 100Mbps, worse than 802.11n WiFi. Do you really want to use the ONT's coax port?

What speed do you want to achieve anyway? You either need to create a wired connection from the router to the PC or use a powerful wireless PCIe card. I mean you need a physical connection to the PC this way or that.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router do you have? You have a PC right? Why don't you check this out: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PCE-AC88-AC3100-802-11AC-Adapter/dp/B01H9QMOMY