Wireless Apple Laptop Doesn't See Networked (cabled) Printer
cmessineo
Enthusiast - Level 1

We just got a new Actiontech router from Fios and now I can't connect to my Brother printer from my Apple Laptop.

However, if I connect my laptop to the router I see the printer just fine.

This all used to work perfectly, so there have been no settings changed on my laptop or my printer.

But something on the new router is preventing my laptop from seeing the printer when it is not cabled to the router.

Any suggestions on what settings to change on the router to try and fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Apple Laptop Doesn't See Networked (cabled) Printer
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router, Advanced -> Yes -> IPMG Proxy - Set IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable): to Disable and save.

DDekker
Enthusiast - Level 2

When i log into the router and hit Advanced --> Yes --> I do not see anything labelled IGMP Proxy (or anything with IGMP for that matter)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this URL once you're loogged into the router:

https://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

0 Likes
DDekker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Smith6612.  

That allowed me to disable IGMP.  

Unfortunately, no progress on the main issue:  I still have a bunch of Apple MacBooks that can each access the internet (including email) but which I cannot see from my Dell running Vista (they dont appear on the network map) and, I'm sure for related reasons, cannot print to the network printer (attached to the Dell) 

Any suggestions anyone?  Otherwise, I'll be emailing documents to print!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since this also started with a new router, and your printer is hosted on a Windows machine, check over the built-in WIndows Firewall or Third Party Firewall. Most firewalls will default to a "Public" location which shuts down Printer sharing and other home network functions when you swap in a new router. In most cases the Firewall will let you know it's seeing a new network, and you will also be asked to choose a network zone.

Windows Vista's Firewall, and Windows 7 along with Windows 8's built-in Firewall do this. If the desktop has Windows XP this shouldn't be an issue if printing worked fine in the past. For third party programs, they all differ, but they tend to behave in the same ways.

Besides that, there's one more thing we can check in the router, although I'd have to find out where the option I'm thinking of is located and what it is called.

0 Likes
DDekker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great thought on the network type -- the new router must have forced the settings to their default values

I changed the netowrk setting in vista to "private" and on my McAfee firewall to "Home"

It feels as if I'm getting closer -- but no cigar yet!

I can "ping" the other computers from the router webpage but still cannot see them in vista or locate the windows printer

I dont know what all the settings mean but noticed that my IPv6 connectivity is "limited".  Could that be a cause?

0 Likes