Wireless connection randomly stops working
Justin9700

I just got FiOS internet this week. It runs fine and is fast enough, but I have a problem on one of my computers. Randomly, in the middle of browsing, the browser will stop loading pages. Actually, they load eventually, but it just shows a blank page and says "done." It will still say it is connected to the network and has internet. Disconnecting and reconnecting usually fixes it, but sometimes I have to reset the router. It happens with both internet explorer and firefox. It also always happens after the computer comes out of sleep mode. This doesn't happen on my other computer, and never used to happen on either computer with my old internet. I did a virus scan, and besides the new internet, nothing is different on the computer. Can someone give me some ideas of what might be wrong or anything I can do? Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless connection randomly stops working
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I would start off by working on the WIFI channels.   one is likely better than the other, and your PC will like one channel over another.

you can do that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is "password1"  or just "password"  unless you changed it. 

Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel

1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.,

after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Justin9700

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I tried all three channels and the problem persisted. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

how far would you say you are from the router, and do you have working fios tv service in a room that is closer to your equipment? 

if you do, then you can get a 1000mhz two way splitter, and move the router to a room that is more central in the house or simply closer to your equipment.   verizon delivers internet over the coax, so you can go to any room that has a working fios coax connection, put the two way splitter on and have one end run to the router, and one end run to the verizon cable box. and that would likely give you a stronger wireless signal?  I am sure some others may come by with additional suggestions, but if the one I mentioned isn't too much trouble, I'd give it a shot. 

cschoening

I actually came here to seek advice on the exact same problem.

I have a wired desktop computer connected to the router, and two or three wireless devices I use (two laptops and a wireless printer). The network connection drops suddenly and sporadically on all the wireless devices. With the laptop, it's annoying but I can recover by clicking on the wireless connection and doing a "Repair Connection". But it's not easy to fix with the printer.

I live in a small townhouse (1000 sq ft,) and all devices and the cable modem/router are on the same floor, only 30 feet away so I don't think it has anything to do with distance.

I suspect the problem is the poor quality of the free cable modem/router that Verizon gave me when I signed up for FIOS (manufacturer is Actiontec). I was going to get a new one at Best Buy but it doesn't seem easy to replace since it has to be compliant with FIOS. Can you order a replacement through Verizon somehow?

0 Likes
mattheww01
Enthusiast - Level 2

While the Actiontec may not be the greatest Wi-Fi Device, your problem probably is elsewhere. 30 feet should not be a problem. You might check the signal strength shown on your WiFi connection to the laptop. IF it shows a strong signal, the issue is unlikely to be the Actiontec.

The band that Wi-Fi operates in is unlicensed, and has a number of legitimate uses that are legal as long as the intention is not to deliberately interfere with other users within the band. So for example if a cordless telephone rings, that often operates in the same band as Wi-Fi, and could wipe out your signal temporarily. Cordless phones are by no means the only example, but are probably the most common. If one of your neighbors has a spread spectrum  2.4 Ghz cordless phone, it could take out your Wi-Fi whenever it is in use.

My gut feel  is you have an external interference issue that may be very difficult to track down, and may not be resolvable with a great deal of very expensive equipment..