Re: Wireless Drops When Hardwired Desktop In Use
logan81
Contributor - Level 3
yes the username is always admin. The password can be different depending on what router version you have. it could be the router serial number, or it could be a special password that is on the sticker where all the other info is. If you would tell us your model number and rev. then we could tell you how to log into the router
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vevan21 wrote:
On the router channel, I just did a quick Googling and used a program called inSSIDer to look at my router's performance compared to other networks around it. It noticed I was on channel 11 which others were on, and it suggested a channel for me to change to. However when I typed my IP into the browser and tried logging into the settings, my failed attempts temporarily locked the account since I was trying to use the Network ID as the Username instead of usual default "admin". I will have to try again tomorrow and report back on how the performance is.

I just paused my Netflix to go onto my desktop and it seems the PS3 the Netflix was streaming from hasn't been kicked off, and I am writing from my iPad which normally would've been kicked off. This is odd, and I may not have paid attention to it, but the issue at hand may not happen every single time. I only notice when it DOES happen.

just reset it to factory defaults, that will unlock it immediately and the userid will be admin.

The userid is by default admin but realistically it's a good move to change it once you've logged on, just remember what you changed it to!

0 Likes
vevan21

How to I reset back to factory default? I can't log in, so is it the red recessed button in the back that I need to reach with a pen/paperclip/etc.?

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@vevan21 wrote:
On the router channel, I just did a quick Googling and used a program called inSSIDer to look at my router's performance compared to other networks around it. It noticed I was on channel 11 which others were on, and it suggested a channel for me to change to. However when I typed my IP into the browser and tried logging into the settings, my failed attempts temporarily locked the account since I was trying to use the Network ID as the Username instead of usual default "admin". I will have to try again tomorrow and report back on how the performance is.

I just paused my Netflix to go onto my desktop and it seems the PS3 the Netflix was streaming from hasn't been kicked off, and I am writing from my iPad which normally would've been kicked off. This is odd, and I may not have paid attention to it, but the issue at hand may not happen every single time. I only notice when it DOES happen.

just reset it to factory defaults, that will unlock it immediately and the userid will be admin.

The userid is by default admin but realistically it's a good move to change it once you've logged on, just remember what you changed it to!

again that depends on what router she has. That will not work for the Gen3 router (the one with two antennas on it). For the gen3 router it has the log on password on the sticker of the router. For the Gen2 router you can factory reset the router to log in. Gen1 may allow you to sign in after a factory reset, but that doesn't always work, sometimes the default password is just password. Sometimes the installation tech who installed it may have set the password as the router serial number.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@logan8 wrote:

again that depends on what router she has. That will not work for the Gen3 router (the one with two antennas on it). For the gen3 router it has the log on password on the sticker of the router. For the Gen2 router you can factory reset the router to log in. Gen1 may allow you to sign in after a factory reset, but that doesn't always work, sometimes the default password is just password. Sometimes the installation tech who installed it may have set the password as the router serial number.

On my router if I reset it factory default the userid is admin and it asks me to set a new password.  They all worked that way after Verizon determined that the installers setting them to password1 wasn't very safe.

Have no idea what they do now, but mine still works the way it did years ago.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@logan8 wrote:

On my router if I reset it factory default the userid is admin and it asks me to set a new password.  They all worked that way after Verizon determined that the installers setting them to password1 wasn't very safe.

Have no idea what they do now, but mine still works the way it did years ago.

no, they don't all work that way. The Gen3 router does not work that way. Gen3 (rev. I) router has a log in password on the sticker on the router so if the customer resets the router it will default back to that password, it will never ask for the cusomter to create a new password after reset. Yes your method will work for many routers, but there are serveral exceptions such as the old Westell router and the new Gen3 router like I said.

0 Likes