WIRELESS INTERNET FOR HOMENET WORK
LTFPF
I have the Actiontech MRI424WR router connected to fios internet / television

The router has an antenna on it and the installer said it was wireless capable.   So my laptop  has recognized the router and the available wireless signal,i have been able to connect my laptop to the signal ,laptop says connected and signal is excellent but my "browser" (IE )wont open to the internet  says Internet explorer cannot display this page .I have a laptop running Windows XP and IE 7 Browser......My home pc is attached to the Actiontech and works fine (wired) but i cant get the wireless to work on my laptop. What am I missing , setting up wrong?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: WIRELESS INTERNET FOR HOMENET WORK
cprgolds
Enthusiast - Level 3

LTFPF, It could be any number of things.

My first guess would be wireless security.  You probably aren't getting an IP (address) from the router.

Suggest you check out this link:  http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/QuestionsOne/85865.htm for starters and see if it addresses your questions.  If it doesn't, maybe you will be able to narrow down the question.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Has it ever worked?

What happens when you plug it in directly to the router?

What king of internet service did you have before?

0 Likes
LTFPF

I have had Fios for a while just got laptop , laptop works just fine when it id directly connect by cable ,just not by wireless, ran the verizon pc checkup it came up with nothing on pc or laptop

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Lets go back to basics for the wireless.

Start your browser, then stop it (or just wait for it to say it cannot connect), then type the address of the router (192.168.1.1) into the address bar. If your laptop then displays the login screen for the router, you have a valid connection. If it doesn't, you have a configuration problem in your PC somewhere.

Nowhere did you mention entering the WEP encryption code into your laptop - did you do that? the router is shipped with WEP wireless encryption activated, the key is on a label on the back of the router.

And one more thing - do you have the wireless adapter in your laptop turned on and enabled? Some laptops have an external switch, some do the on/off via software. And you can enable and disable the wireless connection through Network Connections (XP, I don't know for sure it is the same name in Vista).

You should also disconnect the ethernet connection before trying to use the wireless.

Have patience, you will get it working....

Keller, TX

Message Edited by Justin on 01-10-2009 05:31 PM
0 Likes
cprgolds
Enthusiast - Level 3
Did you have any luck with the link that I suggested earlier?
0 Likes