Wireless N Router
NightKoder

I'd like to upgrade our FIOS plan, but I'm reluctant if Verizon can't provide a Wireless N solution (why purchase an upgrade if none of my devices can use it?)  It's disappointing to me that there STILL isn't a Wireless N router/FIOS Modem that Verizon officially supports.

I've read that there are problems using VPN when using the older Wireless G ActionTec routers as a bridge in conjunction with Wireless N routers, so this is not a viable solution for me.

Does anyone know when Verizon will finally enter the modern age and offer a Wireless N router compatabile with their FIOS product?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Wireless N Router
marc3565
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am not aware of any plans for Fios to change to a router that has N.

The G routers are more then capable of handling the max speed you can get on Fios. You can plug in any other router to work as a wireless access point if you want higher speeds amongst your devices but it will have no impact on your internet connection.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

There are a lot of people using non-Verizon routers and having no issues with VPN.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The plain and simple answer is that Verizon will not be providing an N class router anytime in the foreseeable future.

As said above, G routers will handle the speeds of the Fios with no issues. And Verizon never has and never will support internal networking. And since N class routers will only make a difference for internal networking, it will not be something that they are even going to consider. The Fastest Fios speed anywhere for residential is the 50Mbps (and only in one small area of NY), everywhere else the fastest fios is 35Mbps. The G router is capable of 100Mbps. Therefore the internet is the choke point, not the router.

MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought verizon was going to use this wireless N router?

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=213&typ=all

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Spacedebris, if you connect on the wire then yes you will connect at 100 meg.  If you connect via wireless than the fastest connection speed will be 54meg.  Additionally due to the overhead associated with wireless you will never see 54 meg but rather 20-25 meg with ideal conditions (no interference).

I will agree with you that someone who puts in an 802.11N router will NOT see any difference in their internet speed.  Buying an 802.11N router or AP is a complete waste of money right now, no matter who your internet provider is.

rweck

Not really, if you would like faster local transfer speeds it would definitely be the way to go.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wireless n routers are now on the street.   but they just BARELY got released.   like 2 weeks ago.

http://tinyurl.com/27da5fx

0 Likes
SharonFlanders

I asked Verizon Tech Support why my new IPAD only works in certain rooms in my house.  THey told me that Verizon has a G router and this is a common complaint.  They will be coming out with an N router soon.  I asked when, but the rep was not sure.  He said the N router will have at least 10X the range and will the solve this common problem we Verizon customers are experiencing.  A friend our our who lives about 15 miles away is a COX customer.  He said when Cox upgraded to the N router, COX replaced all the routers with the N router free of charge.  I am very much looking forward to the N router and I hope there will be no charge from Verizon.  Our friend (The Cox customer) raves about the features they have with their plans and the great service.

0 Likes
MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

Geez, it's not that hard people.  If you require wireless N for networking (e.g. laptops, iPads, etc.) then just purchase and install a 802.11N WAP.  You can find them online from reputable distributors for as low as $40.  Simply disable the WiFi on the Verizon Router, plug the new WAP into one of the LAN ports on the router, configure appropriately, and viola . . . you now have 802.11N wireless connectivity.

donutz28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Giant ISP can't keep up with the rest of the internet!!!!

The wireless G can't keep up with Fios and its range is horrible.

Also waiting for gigabit ethernet.    

Can't believe that Fios is crippling business and power users with wireless G and 10/100 ethernet.  

Someone give Verizon purchasing and engineering a wake up call!!!

0 Likes