Wireless Router can only be set up with open access-HELP
SteveD
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had my Verizon FiOS installed over the weekend, and the tech had a problem setting up the wireless router using WEP.  He tried two different routers and no luck, finally he was able to set it up but with no security as an open network.  Is there anything I can try myself or just have Verizon send someone back?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Router can only be set up with open access-HELP
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

How is your network set up?

Do you have any additional routers?  

What Broadband service did you have? 

Does this happen to one or more computers>? 

What kind of operating system/ computers are you running?

0 Likes
SteveD
Enthusiast - Level 2

- network is set up as wireless

- no additonal routers

- went from Verizon DSL to FiOS

- only laptop being used

- running windows vista

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
When you had Dsl, did you have to log in to access the internet thru broadband connection?
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

HHey Steve, I remember an install I had a few months back where the customer had a program that ran the wireless connection.  Everytime I would add the wep key, it would reject the information.  Turns out the default seting was set for 128 bit encryption.  I changed it to 64 bit, entered the wep key and it fired up just fine.

If this applies to you, remember to enable the wep on the router...

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
SteveD if you had DSL service delete all Verizon software from your computer using add/remove programs and reboot your computer. Plug your computer in with an Ethernet cable and dowload the Fios Connection Wizard software. Run the software and choose setup wireless connection. Here is the link. http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/Generic/FiOS+Internet+Generic/FiOS+Connection+Wizard/Questi...
0 Likes