Wireless Router Doesn't Work After 35ft
BenPage

This is driving me nuts, 5 minutes or so, my router begins to slow down heavily, and my bars drop if I attempt to use WLAN from my second floor.

Speeds are fine for 5 minutes, everything is how it should be, and then magically everything stops working, I then get a 504 timeout. There's nothing interfering, something is the router is stopping it seems. If I reset the router and come back upstairs it works fine for some time and then I run into the same problem.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Router Doesn't Work After 35ft
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

How do you know nothing is interfering?  You may want to try changing the channel of the wireless to either 1,6 or 11.

FiOS_PC_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you post router information including the firmware version?

There are some fixes being pushed out now for this problem.

Tell us what happens when you force channel 6

BenPage

I doubt anything is interfering... My past verizon router had this issue, so I used a Linksys router in place and it worked perfectly. (I stopped using the Linksys when I got FiOS since I was given a wireless N router)

I have an ActionTec MI424-WR running 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

For the fun of it I ran 3 speed tests after forcing channel 6

Ethernet

Down:  25.41MB/s

Up: 6.51MB/s

Ping: 21ms

WifI - Downstairs ~10ft away

Down: 4.83MB/s

Up: 3.95MB/s

Ping: 25ms

Wifi - Upstairs ~35ft away

Down: 0.82MB/s

Up: 1.39MB/s

Wifi - Upstairs after 10 minutes

Down: 0.53MB/s

Up: 1.30MB/s

Ping: 24

My laptop is also wireless N, so it supports what... 300 Mbits per second? So theoretically I should be able to get downloads at 37.5MB/s if my internet was that fast. I don't know if switching to channel six changed anything, but usually the WiFi times out and it's not happening right now

Edit Aaaand it clunked out as soon after I posted this

0 Likes
FiOS_PC_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is new firmware for your router that is being sent out now.

The new version is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3

I can't say for sure that it will fix your specific issue, but I know that there are some wireless related fixes in it.

When you google that version number, you can see that some people are getting it pushed to them this week.

If you can't wait a few days, the FSC should be able to help you install it manually.

0 Likes
FiOS_PC_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may also want to try running this:

Verizon Online - FiOS Speed Optimizer

And can you make sure you have the newest drivers for your wireless adapter?

Those are pretty slow speeds, but it may not be a specific problem with the router.

If you had other wireless devices that could run the same tests, it would help narrow it down.

Got an iPad or iPod Touch? Try the speedtest.net app.

0 Likes
BenPage

Speed Optimizer only works for Internet Explorer (lol) and Windows only.

I ran speedtest on my phone

ping: 108ms

down: 2kb/s

up: 52kb/s

So... um yeah.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

When was the new actiontec s/w released?  I don't see any release notes on the actiontec web site that shows what was fixed.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BenPage wrote:

I doubt anything is interfering... My past verizon router had this issue, so I used a Linksys router in place and it worked perfectly. (I stopped using the Linksys when I got FiOS since I was given a wireless N router)

I have an ActionTec MI424-WR running 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

For the fun of it I ran 3 speed tests after forcing channel 6

Ethernet

Down:  25.41MB/s

Up: 6.51MB/s

Ping: 21ms

WifI - Downstairs ~10ft away

Down: 4.83MB/s

Up: 3.95MB/s

Wifi - Upstairs ~35ft away

Down: 0.82MB/s

Up: 1.39MB/s

Wifi - Upstairs after 10 minutes

Down: 0.53MB/s

Up: 1.30MB/s

Ping: 24

My laptop is also wireless N, so it supports what... 300 Mbits per second? So theoretically I should be able to get downloads at 37.5MB/s if my internet was that fast. I don't know if switching to channel six changed anything, but usually the WiFi times out and it's not happening right now

Edit Aaaand it clunked out as soon after I posted this

Makes no difference if your devices are wireless-n, the VZ router is wireless-g which gives you 54mb which translates to 1/2 on a good day with all bars, so at best you may get 20-25mb, more likely around 10mb.  The wired connections are 100mb so you could mighet get around 40-50mb out of them.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Still sounds like interference ... get a copy of Netstumbler and take a look at what the channel usage profile looks like and see about finding a clear channel.   That or one of the radios may be disfunctional ... know someone else with a laptop that could come over and see what their experience is like?

0 Likes