Wireless Router - neighbor usage
jcutuli
Enthusiast - Level 1
A neighbor has asked to be added to our Verizon wireless network for a few weeks. He has a laptop and would be viewing movies online and random Internet access. What problems might I encounter by allowing this access? Is there a data cap on home accounts? Would my own Internet access via iPhone become slower? Just not sure if this is a good idea and would appreciate comments on other's experiences. Thank you.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Router - neighbor usage
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

By granting someone access to your home FIOS Network you are responsiblity for things they download.  If they should download illegal files you would be held responsible.  If you trust your neighbor well enough then that's your decision.  There are no caps on the amount of data that can be downloaded.  The only time caps become an issue is if VZ determines you are running a server from your home account.

Due to the distance of your neighbor will you notice a slow down ?  Yes it is possible that your wireless connections may suffer.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

By granting someone access to your home FIOS Network you are responsiblity for things they download.  If they should download illegal files you would be held responsible.  If you trust your neighbor well enough then that's your decision.  There are no caps on the amount of data that can be downloaded.  The only time caps become an issue is if VZ determines you are running a server from your home account.

Due to the distance of your neighbor will you notice a slow down ?  Yes it is possible that your wireless connections may suffer.

jcutuli
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you for answering. I appreciate your input and feel better informed. Don't like the liability so keeping our VZ router locked down for our family's use seems to be prudent. Thanks again.