Wireless security settings from tv
Russff
Enthusiast - Level 2

With the new ability to check my wireless security settings from my tv ("My Wireless Network"), any one who comes into my house can now view my Network user name and password.  I think this is a terrible idea and completely bypasses the whole idea of security, making it so easy for any of my kids friends to put their devices on my network and do who knows what.  Is there any way to disable this "feature"?

Re: Wireless security settings from tv
Justin46
Legend

@Russff wrote:

With the new ability to check my wireless security settings from my tv ("My Wireless Network"), any one who comes into my house can now view my Network user name and password.  I think this is a terrible idea and completely bypasses the whole idea of security, making it so easy for any of my kids friends to put their devices on my network and do who knows what.  Is there any way to disable this "feature"?

Unfortunately no, at least as far as I can tell. I discovered this in early December and raised an issue with Verizon, and as far as I know nothing has been done, and I have seen no indication that anything will be done. Making the information available is a good idea in my opinion, but it should be secured by at least the Parental Control PIN, if not something stronger and separate.

I will try again from my end to get some Verizon attention to this issue.

I hope more people will raise this issue so that maybe we can get some focus from Verizon on this. You might want to put this in the Ideas area also.

Keller, TX 76248

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I raised the issue with Verizon TS back in December.  A week ago I called VZ TS to find out the status of my open ticket and the reply I was told was VZ was aware but there was not many people that called or complained about it so at the current time there is no action to change anything.  We need more people to call or demand this is fixed and protcted with parental controls.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not only is this a security risk from the set-top-box menu, but I makes me wonder how secure the router itself is.

Clearly, the WiFi password can be transmitted by the router, but I've no idea how it is secured.  For all we know, it may be possible to gain access to the WiFi password from *any* device connected to the local network.  If so, this isn't very secure.

I guess I'll call and add my voice.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gs0b wrote:

Not only is this a security risk from the set-top-box menu, but I makes me wonder how secure the router itself is.

Clearly, the WiFi password can be transmitted by the router, but I've no idea how it is secured.  For all we know, it may be possible to gain access to the WiFi password from *any* device connected to the local network.  If so, this isn't very secure.

I guess I'll call and add my voice.

Thanks.

Verizon clearly has a way to log into the router without knowing your specific login information, that way they can update the code, change any settings they need to change, etc. So my guess is that the STBs now know, if they didn't previously, the protocol and Verizon login info to get into the router. Once they do that, getting to the wireless password would be easy; I just did it using the "jump' technique, but to do that successfully you do need to be logged in first, and if you are already logged in you can see the wireless password anyway.

Still, a big security hole that I don't think they thought very hard about when they put that function into the STB Menu. It albsolutely should be at least secured with the Parental Control password, which it clearly isn't as I do have parental control turned on and I can see the wireless password without entering any password.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Russff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted a request in the ideas section and also sent a support request.  We'll see what happens.

Justin46
Legend

@Russff wrote:

I posted a request in the ideas section and also sent a support request.  We'll see what happens.

Yeah I saw that, and I have voted for it. Hopefully a lot more people will do so, although I suspect many users are still totally unaware that they can even see that information on their TV.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Russff
Enthusiast - Level 2

My other thought is to get a new wireless router, move all my wireless devices onto this new router, and disable wireless ability on the Verizon router.  This way, the username and password anyone can view are useless.  I wonder if I can deduct the cost of this second router from my Verizon bill since they forced me into it (yea, right).

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Russff wrote:

My other thought is to get a new wireless router, move all my wireless devices onto this new router, and disable wireless ability on the Verizon router.  This way, the username and password anyone can view are useless.  I wonder if I can deduct the cost of this second router from my Verizon bill since they forced me into it (yea, right).

@That works.  Earlier I wrote:

"A temporary workaround using additional hardware is available. My second router, an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato USB behind the Actiontec, is the primary network wireless device. (the Actiontec radio is disabled). Hence when I try to access network info in the Customer Support menu it reports "wireless disabled." This is an irksome method and obviously not available to all users, but it does provide a temporary fix while the software is tweaked."

Good luck with deducting.

0 Likes