Wireless Works But Wired Connection Doesn't
dsa777

I just got home and after turning on my computer I found that I couldn't connect to Fios Internet.  However, when I tried to use my work laptop wireless, I connected fine.  It is very strange.

I tried to release the IP and renew it via the command line ipconfig and I got an error message about problems with the DHCP.  However, the fact that my laptop connected kind of puts a whole in that.

Any ideas??

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Works But Wired Connection Doesn't
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

It could be a defective router...

Does your router happen to be over 6 months old?

I would first make sure it's not a problem with that specific computer.. plug in another using hardwire and see if it's pulling an IP address.

If a different PC is not able to pull an IP address from the router (it's getting 169.254.x.x) then try this: go into device manager, open the properties for your ethernet adapter and go into advanced options. Look for a property for transmission mode or rate or something like that .. switch it to 10 / Full duplex.

I've seen defective routers in the past that would not give good IPs over ethernet, but once you switch to 10/Full it did.

In this case, you would need the router replaced. Contact Tech Support and they can arrange a drop shipment or tech dispatch for replacement.

0 Likes
dsa777
i unplugged my router to do a hard reset and it fixed the problem.  My setup is a week old and I'm upset to see that ths is still an issue.
0 Likes
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2
What do you mean "that this is still an issue"? Has your computer had this kind of problem in the past?
0 Likes
dsa777
No but this used to happen with my old Linksys router once or twice a year and I thought it was just the router.  I guess this happens with all routers though.
0 Likes