With Actiontec router, do I need another firewall?
arthorspooner

I had been using free version of Zone Alarm but have run into upgrade issues.  Rather than try to fix those, was wondering if I even need another s/w firewall (Windows or other) if I use the firewall that came with the Actiontec MI424WR router?  I am running XP Home SP3.

Appreciate any help.

0 Likes
Re: With Actiontec router, do I need another firewall?
prisaz
Legend

@arthorspooner wrote:

I had been using free version of Zone Alarm but have run into upgrade issues.  Rather than try to fix those, was wondering if I even need another s/w firewall (Windows or other) if I use the firewall that came with the Actiontec MI424WR router?  I am running XP Home SP3.

Appreciate any help.

It depends on how much security you want. The router will block anything coming in that you do not ask for, but the software firewall shows programs attempting to get out. Avast Antivirus is a good software and also now includes a firewall. I have not tested the firewall but have trusted the Antivirus software under Vista 64bit since beta. I am running Vista and that is the biggest issue with Zone Alarm and one of the main reasons it is not on my machine. Vista firewall is good and with Vista Firewall Control it also acts to block outbound. If you trust everything on your machine, including anti malware, anti virus, and trust every web site you visit, then outbound firewall protection is not needed.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-22-2009 05:34 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
As an information security person by education and practice, I always tell people that it IS a good idea to have a software firewall in addition to what may be on your router.  Remembering that multiple firewalls [ installed on your computer ] can conflict with each other and make it that much harder to 'get out' onto the internet, or to allow things in. 
0 Likes
arthorspooner

@cjacobs001 wrote:
As an information security person by education and practice, I always tell people that it IS a good idea to have a software firewall in addition to what may be on your router.  Remembering that multiple firewalls [ installed on your computer ] can conflict with each other and make it that much harder to 'get out' onto the internet, or to allow things in. 

Ok thanks but I was asking about whether I need a s/w firewall in addition to the Actiontec firewall; not whether I should install more than 1 s/w firewall product. 

Will have to get ZA fixed or install a new product as I believe the XP Firewall only protects inbound.

0 Likes