Woke up with no internet - any ideas?
cap532ny

I went to bed last night with perfectly working internet. When I got up, it didn't work at all. After a lengthy call with Verizon, I have a tech coming tomorrow to fix it. Rebooting/resetting the router didn't work. The router is a re-condtioned one sent last summer to replace an older one that they were going to charge me to use.

Windows diagnostics gives me this message: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

I've been using Google's DNS without issue for a long time, so I tried OpenDNS. That didn't work, and I made sure all numbers matched in Windows and within my router settings.

When I try to watch TV, all I get are the channel number and time. It doesn't say what the channel is, and program information is unavailable.

My landline phone, also part of my Triple Play package, works fine.

My ONT is the original one they put in 7 years ago. Could it be that?

I have a tech coming tomorrow, but would like to know what I might be dealing with ahead of time to get an idea of how long the appointment will last.

0 Likes
Re: Woke up with no internet - any ideas?
jonjones1
Legend

@cap532ny wrote:

I went to bed last night with perfectly working internet. When I got up, it didn't work at all. After a lengthy call with Verizon, I have a tech coming tomorrow to fix it. Rebooting/resetting the router didn't work. The router is a re-condtioned one sent last summer to replace an older one that they were going to charge me to use.

Windows diagnostics gives me this message: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

I've been using Google's DNS without issue for a long time, so I tried OpenDNS. That didn't work, and I made sure all numbers matched in Windows and within my router settings.

When I try to watch TV, all I get are the channel number and time. It doesn't say what the channel is, and program information is unavailable.

My landline phone, also part of my Triple Play package, works fine.

My ONT is the original one they put in 7 years ago. Could it be that?

I have a tech coming tomorrow, but would like to know what I might be dealing with ahead of time to get an idea of how long the appointment will last.

How long it takes really should not matter. You want a stable connection.

did you try restarting the ONT? Then check and see that there is power getting to it.

it show green lights.

if the power is out it could be the electric plug may need to check the circuit breakers and see if it was tripped. If there is power then I would unplug the router and count to 30 and plug it back in. This may fix your issue.

it may even be a line problem with Fios and in that case it is out of your hands.

Good Luck

0 Likes