World of Warcraft DC's using Verizon Security Suite - fixes?
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am a new Verizon Fios customer and when I originally had the service installeda couple weeks ago,  I did not install the security suite right away.  I was using Norton 360 (Comcast) on my desktop and Windows 7 security services on my laptop.  All was working well in terms of internat access, speeds, and WoW performance. 

I then proceeded to install the security suite on my desktop and laptop and now WoW DC's after approximately 5 minutes whether I use direct connect (desktop) or wireless (laptop).  Did not have any issues before installing the security suite.  Turning off the features I have access to in the menu's does not help the situation.  Using my laptop on a DSL wireless network at work location is fine with no disconnects. 

If I am running the Ventrilo client software it drops connection as well and I have to close and relaunch it to get it working again.  The DC and Ventrilo issue happen simultaneously.  The DC's occur even without Ventrilo ruunning.

Were do I begin as I dread calling support and get pointed to Mcafee and Blizzard when the issue seems to be related to the Verizon router/fios services and probably Mcafee interaction.  Also what is the "cleaner" program to remove Mcafee from my system?

Thank-you in advance for your constructive input.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: World of Warcraft DC's using Verizon Security Suite - fixes?
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Marking this as solved.  Thanks everyone for your guidance.  I still haven't tried replacement router, but if it works I will update thread.

Solution was to front-end my Fios service using a third party router (DIR-655) connected to the Ethernet port of the ONT.  Verizon activated the port for me.   The DIR handles web traffic, serves IPs, and runs the wi-fi.  I have the Actiontec (WAN port) connected to the DIR-655 (LAN port).  The Actiontec is DMZ'd, manages Coax connection, and handles STBs (IP etc...).   I am running the VISS, but not family protection.

Currently I do not have remote access to the DVRs but that's a different issue.

View solution in original post

EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The only true way to remove McAfee is to reformat and Reinstall.

If you happen to have an Actiontec WAP, then you are probably going to experience A LOT of disconnects.

FIOS happens to have a lot of issues with keeping MMO's running.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a fan of the Verizon Security Suite -- I think there are much better solutions with less overhead and at less cost than this product.   With that said ... let's see about what you might be experiencing.

This sounds like a problem we were experiencing with our enterprise implementation of McAfee a few months back with their firewall/HIPS product losing track of "state" on open connections and closing them or inappropriately blocking subsequent packets because it say the traffic as "out of sequence".   Try to find and temporarily disable the Firewall and HIPS part of the security product (might be in the Systray or you might need to go into Control Panel and find the firewall software and disable it there).  See if that fixes the problem ... if so, then you have the same bug we encountered.   Our problem ended up being a hot fix from the vendor.  

Also, you did completely remove Norton 360 and all components before installing the Verizon product didn't you?  If not, having contending security products on the same machine can give you are world of hurt.

The "cleaner" to which you refer is to address a specific scenario where you can end up removing the McAfee products using their uninstaller but for some reason parts get left behind or the uninstaller fails with an error.   The cleaner will go in and find the errant parts of McAfee which got left behind and properly attempt to remove them.   

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can try it once again, but on my desktop I did go through the configure and turned off the components but still had the problem - think I turned off everything I could through the configure menu's and just short of doing an uninstall. 

What is HIPS I could not find a reference to it?

Norton 360 was removed on my desktop (Vista 64bit) and my laptop (Win7 64bit)  never had it - just basic Windows 7 security.

Would this be an interaction of Mcafee and Fios/router? as I do not seem to have this issue here at work running through Verizon DSL.

Thank-you for your response.  I will most like remove the security suite and cancel it from Verizon.  Also will probably go to Avast.

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

GO BACK TO YOUR OLD ISP BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE..

SAVE YOURSELF IT GETS WORSE FROM HERE...

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, are you saying you don't have the problem with the SAME computer when attached at work, but do have the problem with the SAME computer when at home?   Or are they different computers?

If it's the same computer at two different locations, we need to focus on something different.  By same, I mean the exact same computer, not two different computers running the same program.

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

So, are you saying you don't have the problem with the SAME computer when attached at work, but do have the problem with the SAME computer when at home?   Or are they different computers?

If it's the same computer at two different locations, we need to focus on something different.  By same, I mean the exact same computer, not two different computers running the same program.

Yes to clarify - same physical laptop - two different locations.  Both locations using wireless connection.  Ran Wow for over half hour this morning in work location and no issues  (Verizon DSL).  Only see issue at home.

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you have an ACTIONTEC MR424 WR WAP at home?

The Actiontec WAP is known to have issues with MMO's, large file transfers, etc.

My ActionTec works for about 30 minutes before it affects my internet, ie: MMO's, File downloads, Remote Desktop

Resetting the WAP is only a temp fix.

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@EpicFail wrote:

Do you have an ACTIONTEC MR424 WR WAP at home?

The Actiontec WAP is known to have issues with MMO's, large file transfers, etc.

My ActionTec works for about 30 minutes before it affects my internet, ie: MMO's, File downloads, Remote Desktop

Resetting the WAP is only a temp fix.

Actiontec MI424-WR  Rev. F.

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So you have FIOS TV also?

Go around and unplug all of the DVR's, STB's and dsiconnect all wired/wireless devices from your ActionTec.

Once that is done reboot the ActionTec, wait 5 minutes and then try WoW