XBOX LIVE/FIOS PRODUCING EXTREME UNBEARABLE LAG
NJFIREMAN
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok,

I have had fios for at least 2 yrs now and have called support multiple times in regards to the laggish speed or playable with my xbox live service.

I have even switch briefly to comcast and still have the same problems with lag when gaming.

For months for the sake of my wife I've sucked it up because she enjoys the other services provided by Verizon.  But I'm not happy at all especially when I pay my bill.

All my games from sunrise to sunset are extremely laggish. I have a windown between 1am to 2am where the game play is flawless. I have all the recommend ports open for the xbox. Place the xbox on a static ip and to no happy ending still nothing.

My speed when doing speed test (43/30) are amazing and the ping is always A+ (21ms)

I seriously don't understand all the lag?  My last resort in order to enjoy this service that I pay a lot money for is to move into another area.

Does it really have to come to that.  I came up with that solution based on the fact I live in an area that is populated but I'm not living in major cities like a lot of my friends online.

I always ask my friends when we game is it lagging on their end of the connection and they say no.  But my end is just pathetic.

It looks like I'm studdering, in and out with the game play on my tv..

Can someone shed some light on this.

Do I need to make a video to confirm the lag that I'm experiencing.  So much money invested into having this service for it to be totally unenjoyable.

I'm on my 3rd router from Verizon, agent came over, call countless times to service rep, relocated my router, reset the router, reset the xbox, reset to default, pnp, custom ports, wireless connection, direct connect, countless hours of researching for an solution.

Re: XBOX LIVE/FIOS PRODUCING EXTREME UNBEARABLE LAG
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

well u said you switched briefly to comcast, did u experiance lag there too? If so its mostly likely the xbox thats at fault. I play on xbox as well with verizon fios and so do my friends, they don't experiance lag unless its caused by hosts during a game.

NJFIREMAN
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I did.  I believe it has to be either the area or my lines in my townhome.  But everyone majority in my area is at work during the times when im home off. I have a buddy that stays close by and his gaming experience nevers lags but mines is horrible.  Plus how can xbox be responsible when the message, the gaming, the connection is all by internet?

Everything else that is provided by fios rocks but this online gaming experience.

Why do I have to wait til 2 am to enjoy what my friend is experiencing down a few streets?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you by any chance playing with a specific group of people on a consistent basis with the Xbox? Have you ever been "Host" in any of your games, and while you were host, did you experience any lag? Have you checked to ensure your TV isn't introducing Input Lag (Console > Screen ) into the equation?

The thing to keep in mind with Consoles is that most games tend to lack Dedicated servers on the consoles. Other players you happen to be playing with will often times be hosting games on their own connection, so things may or may not work so nicely.

0 Likes
Darn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dude I feel your pain. I have been complaining for two years. The only answer I have got from verizon was this. FIOS is on a higher speed tier then other isp's. Because most xbl users dont have the speed fios has a lot of the games are programmed with a netcode that is more suited for these slower connections. In other words  the lag compensation goes  crazy and rather then give you an advantage over your opponent it completly screws you to the point where it it unplayable.

Dont believe me. Here is a screenshot from a reply I got from a upper tier 

Verizon is intentionally keeping this information secret because it took me two years to coax it out of someone there. If you are a gamer thinking of getting fios, think again. FIOS SUCKS FOR XBOX LIVE

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem isn't with Verizon or FiOS if the developer wrote garbage code for Internet gaming and interpolation! Try playing some well-known games away from the Call of Duty series or games that do not have Dedicated Servers and see how FiOS shines. Granted, it should be a PC game (on a fast PC) since that is really the only platform where dedicated servers are fully abundant. I run my own game servers for a variety of PC games and define how the netcode works on server startup. It's tuned to let those with fast connections destroy those who can't absorb 60KB/s of UDP Data consistently.

As far as I'm concerned, if developers are writing code that allows 100ms players to get an advantage on a 66 refresh per second game whereas those with 5ms latency get a lesser chance, that is just messed up. They need to write code as if someone were on a LAN, with only a bit of lag compensation to account for jitter.

XboxGuy
Enthusiast - Level 3

try changing your router settings.  this is what i did and works really well

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-MI424WR-rev-G-router-and-xbox-live-best-setting...

0 Likes