xbox one, fios, windows 10 xbox app and router dmz
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

hi all I have done this for years since windows 10 came out. Last week it stopped working. I am not sure why. It appears to me that the dmz setting is just not working on my g1100. Basically the set up previously was easy. (there are a few ways to do this but this is what had been working.)

1. set local assigned IP address by g1100 for xbox one in dmz set xbox up to have manual IP settings. 
  2. Type in public IP for router/devices in xbox app to connect.                                

It was that simple and it was glorious.  We lost power a few times last week and now everything is working fine but the connection when off network is not working. Typing the IP in says there is no xbox with that IP. I can still connect on the local network fine.

Things I have done:

1. rebooted the router
  2. rebooted the xbox
  3. changed the assigned ip/DMZ setting
  4. hard reset the xbox
  5. reset the router  
  6. changed to my other xbox so that it was now in the DMZ - does not work
  7. changed the location of the xbox so that it is not using the same cable or ethernet switch

What I have not tried

1.  factory resetting xbox (this would mean long downloads but I can do that overnight tonight 
  2. getting out my old netgear to have that act as the main router 
  3. change xbox connection to wifi (both are currently wired)
  4. using simple port forwarding (that had not helped in the past)

So any thoughts? I would love to solve this problem. Normally I can test the connection when at home by just typing in the IP instead of using the detected connection  - that does not work. My gut is telling me that the dmz is not working for some reason

thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: xbox one, fios, windows 10 xbox app and router dmz
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you setup a Static IP on/for the Xbox One?

By Static IP for/on Xbox:

See https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/

As noted if you setup a manual Static IP, it must be outside of the DHCP Server Range.

By manual Static IP (Set up a Static IP address in your Xbox One Console) I mean not having the router assign the same IP Address (Assign a Static IP Address to your Xbox One In Your Router).

#2 Even if you want to (or have to) setup a Manaul Static IP even with the DHCP Server Enabled in it, please make sure that the Xbox one's IP & MAC Address shows up in the DHCP Table in the router.

johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you i think that might be it. I thought previously that it was set up within the range but I might be wrong I will try doing that in a little bit. will report back, thank you!

0 Likes
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

pretty sure I got it to work. Will report back when off the network. thank you!

0 Likes
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

ok so here is where we are at.

I can stream at home fine. Cannot connect off network still. I am not sure if maybe I did something incorrectly because the guide is a little different from my g1100.  

xbox has IP adress static in its settings

that IP address is outside the range of the router

ports are forwarded to that IP address.

I went to verify that the xbox one x was in the dhcp table of the router and it still had the old internal IP. I changed it and things still do not work. I wonder if I have a setting wrong.

I apologize if I did not do this correctly (which seems to be the case!)

0 Likes
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

After trouble shooting today, I wonder if something is going on with the port forwarding.

With the quantum gateway, am I supposed to set up the port forwarding thru the static NAT setup or in the regular port forwarding area, or does it not matter?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Between the two, the regular forwarding page.

#2 While we know that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

#3 Besides this NAT router, do you have another NAT router?

Notes for this question:

a) If you have a spare (one that is not in use), you must say

"Yes, but only a spare"

b) Likewise if you setup a second one to act as Hub/Switch/WAP ( per https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506 )- you must say so.

"Yes, but acting as a Hub/Switch/WAP"

#4 Do you have a spare computer that still works, that has two NICs? Note for this question, at one of the NICs must be a wired one.

johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

hi!

1. ok

2. yes fios tv

3. I have another NAT router but is in a drawer somewhere. It is a netgear nighthawk I believe. It is a spare router that is not in use as anything.

4.  I have a few pcs in the house. I have the laptop that I am typing on that uses wifi, I have a desktop that is wired (has only 1 NIC) and a chromebook that connects via wifi. I do not have an extra NIC floating around.   Would the desktop satisfy the requirement?

Of note, I really think the router is the issue here as it does not seem to be port forwarding OR using dmz set up correctly.  Would it be best to try to set up the netgear? I can run an ethernet and change from moca.

0 Likes
johny3
Enthusiast - Level 1

hi

My extra router in an asus

RT-AC66U

I do not have a nighthawk, I was mistaken. This asus is in a drawer

0 Likes