Yahoo e-mail service vs. AOL e-mail service
n1evh
Enthusiast - Level 2

From what I've been reading in here... it looks as if we HAVE to have either a Yahoo e-mail portal/service or an AOL e-mail portal/service. When I first started with Verizon (DSL service back in 2003 and FiOS service since about 2007)... you could get your e-mail DIRECTLY from Verizon (e-mail programs were setup for incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net for servers).

So... if we HAVE to have either Yahoo or AOL for an e-mail portal/service... which one is better???

I've been using the Yahoo e-mail portal/service for a few years. However... Yahoo has a 10 Meg limit for a single file size for file attachments and I think a 20 Meg limit if attaching multiple files.  What is AOL's single file size limit  and total limit if attaching multiple files???  Also... no matter how many times I tell the Yahoo e-mail that an e-mail ISN'T spam... it keeps catching those e-mail and putting it into their spam folder (ie: like e-mails from PayPal that are confirming a payment has been made).  I can go thru my online spam folder every week or two and find e-mails in it that aren't spam.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
Re: Yahoo e-mail service vs. AOL e-mail service
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you do the remind me later option, or I will decide later, you will stay with the verizon email experience,  no yahoo or aol 

0 Likes
n1evh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well then... is there anyway to get rid of the Yahoo e-mail portal/service that I have now WITHOUT having to get the AOL e-mail portal/service???  I would like to go back to the Verizon e-mail service if possible.

Mike

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
You can try the click to chat support. But I think you will have better luck over the phone. It took a few days but they got it for me.
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I posted this in response to your other post on this thread, but I'll put it here too. Hopefully it helps clear up some confusion.

This can be kind of confusing. AOL portalled accounts don't actually use AOL's mail system for the verizon.net address like Yahoo accounts do. If you are using AOL portal, you'll be using Verizon's webmail just like a normal Verizon-only account. The difference is that you have the option to download and use some additional AOL software.

Verizon has a 20 MB single-attachment limit, but keep in mind that they only effectively support an 8 MB attachment size. That is, on average, all webmail can handle before timing out. You can send larger files if you use a pop3 client like Thunderbird or Outlook, but Verizon doesn't offer full support for email clients unless you pay for premium tech support.

I'm sure there are just as many complaints about Yahoo's spam filter as there are about Verizon's spam filter. It's always the case that what thrills most people will be upsetting for some. That's just the way the world works. Try to find one that works for you.

Please keep in mind that when you switch away from Yahoo, you will lose any email and contacts that you have on their servers, as Yahoo never sends that info back to Verizon. I'd suggest getting it backed up before switching.

n1evh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got done with an online "chat session" and I was told the only wait to get rid of the Yahoo e-mail portal was to switch to the AOL e-mail portal. Then the settings in my e-mail programs would go back to incoming/outgoing.verizon.net.  I don't know why they call it an AOL e-mail portal... if you're using the Verizon e-mail servers.

Well... 99.99% of my e-mail is done using IncrediMail. About the only e-mail stuff I do thru the website is... going thru the online spam folder to see what legit e-mail has been caught in it. I can go thru it once a week... and find legit e-mail in there. In fact... every e-mail from PayPal gets caught in the Yahoo online spam folder. No matter how many times I tell Yahoo that the e-mails from PayPal are NOT spam... they get caught.

I don't have to worry about losing an saved e-mails or contacts when switching from the Yahoo e-mail portal ro the AOL e-mail portal because like I said... 99.99% of my e-mail stuff is done thru IncrediMail... so all of my saved e-mails and contact linfo is saved in that program.

Mike

0 Likes
n1evh
Enthusiast - Level 2

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

OK... I just went thru the process of switching my e-mail over from the Yahoo e-mail portal to the AOL e-mail portal.  I went thru all of the steps that it wanted me to to do. However... after it was all done... my e-mail is STILL going thru the Yahoo e-mail portal !!!!!

If I got into my e-mail program and change the "servers" to incoming/outgoing.verizon.net... my e-mail program won't send or receive e-mail. If I put them back to incoming/outgoing.yahoo.verizon.mail... I can send and receive e-mail. When I go to Verizon's home page and click on "Verizon Email" and sign in with my Verizon username and password... its brings me to the Yahoo e-mail page.

Now Verizon is **bleep** me off.

Mike

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think when you switch from one to the other, it takes 24 hours to complete. 

0 Likes
n1evh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up doing a SECOND online chat session with someone from Verizon after my first attempt to abandon the Yahoo e-mail portal. When I was talking with this guy... they said something about having to enable a "portal swtich" on the account. When the person told me this... I told him the FIRST person I did an online chat with said they were going to do that.. This person said it would "take a minute" to enable to portal switch.

Well... after about 15 minutes...they said it was switched. After they said it was switched... I was then able to remove the "yahoo" from my e-mail program's server setup... and I was able to get my e-mail thru the Verizon e-mail servers.

Now... if my e-mail server info was able to get changed in my e-mail program AFTER this person took 15 minutes to enable some sort of portal switch... why did they send mt to that "Verizon Broadband with AOL" site which downloaded software to run which was SUPPOSE to make the changes that it didn't really make???

I guess going to that "Verizon Broadbadn with AOL" link and downloadinging software and letting the software so its stuff is totally USELESS and NOT NEEDED if you want to  get rid of the Yahoo e-mail portal... just having someone in Tech Support enable a portal switch is all it takes.

Mike

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... hot off the press personal experience here:

4:45pm 12/15/10 -- Accessed the MyVerizon account settings to attempt to change my portal from Yahoo to AOL.  Went thru the prompts and motions and got to the end when it fails with an error "due to technical difficulties"

4:50pm 12/15/10 -- Started a chat session with Verizon

4:51pm 12/15/10 - Chat session answered and "Samual" offers to help me.  I explain my problem as "I am attempting to switch my Email portal experience from Verizon Yahoo! to Verizon AOL! and the process is failing.

4:52pm 12/15/10 - Samuel asks me a few questions and starts to walk me thru the original conversion process from 4:45pm.  I politely inform him that I've been there already.   He asks if I mind doing a screen sharing session so he can see the error first hand.  I agree

4:55pm 12/15/10 - Samuel is using GotoAssist to view my screen and check some settings, resetting my browser settings, etc. and then runs the conversion program and encounters the same error (I am filling in various password / account information along the way so he doesn't need to know them).

4:56pm 12/15/10 - Samuel escalates to email portal team.  This takes a while -- he updates me every minute or two to let me know that they're working on it.

5:05pm 12/15/10 - Samuel tells me that they need to unlink me from Yahoo! before moving me to AOL! and that they are working on that now.   I tell him that actually -- I really hate portals and am switching to AOL! just to get rid of the blasted Yahoo! portal -- so if they can just do the unlink and leave me on the Verizon servers that would be even better.   He says "no problem!"

5:10pm 12/15/10 - Samuel says conversion should be complete and provides me with the original Verizon pop/smtp server settings.   Using a second computer, I reconfigure my mail client and being to check.

5:15pm 12/15/10 - I've confirmed all is working having sent myself a message from a Gmail account and received it in the mail client.  

So there you go ... I'm back to the original verizon servers and no more Yahoo!   Yeah!    It can be done!

So ... kudos to Samuel.   Give that man a spot bonus!

And for those who say that chat never works, Verizon techs don't know anything, service is horrible, etc.   --  well, the above certainly doesn't seem to play out that way to me.   Polite and patient conversation works every time.