Re: You can bridge the Fios Quantum Gateway Router
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't actually spoken to anyone who has this working. The original author, who posted the updated steps for the Actiontec did have Verizion cable TV service.

22. Power cycle your STB if you wish.

> You should see your STB show up in your DHCP list and it should be getting VOD/Widgets.

That's just not a step that I can perform or test.

-V

0 Likes
ggraves

Finally got my G1100 Bridged but there is staill a problem in the Bridged WiFi. Note the wired speed on the bridged router is fine, it is just the WiFi... and WiFi is fine on the main router. Thoughts, anyone?

0 Likes
lybrand

Install instructions are calling for disabling WiFI on Quantum, is not it?

Do you have TV by the way, does it work for you?

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless I'm confused by what you are saying, if your router is bridged, you aren't going to be able to use Wifi on it.

-V

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have my first problem with this set-up after weeks of it working correclty with no issues.

The Edge Router I am using no longer has a public IP. Rebooting the Edge router and the Fios Router/"modem" did not restore that IP.

Verizion says their is not a service outage in my area.

The phone/Internet automation which "refreshes" the services didn't work.

So, I'm at ground zero right now and will have to start over. I am expecting that I will need to factory reset the Verizion Quantum Gateway router to be something that Verizion supports. Get it working in a way that is supported. And they do these steps over again.

All of this headache would go away if I knew how to disable SIP on the Verizion Fios Quantum Gateway router. That's the only reason I've gone to all this pain.

-V

0 Likes
lybrand

Did you connect back your edge router at any point back to Quantum gateway (LAN to LAN)?

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

No.

Fios Quantum Gateway > Edge Router

Port 1 -> WAN

That's the only link between the two.

-V

0 Likes
lybrand

Did you try to replace your edge router with anything else which will initiake DHCP (like laptop or something)? 

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, but that's a good idea. I'll do that before I hit the reset button.

I haven't done any work on it yet. It died during the day while I'm here at work. The wife called and said the Internet was out. I had her Facetime me.

I had her reboot the Fios Quantum Gateway and we rebooted the switch, but trying to do anything more involved than some basics over Facetime isn't worth it.

Either way, I get to report back to the thread a better set of steps for bridging (assume I'm able to do it again in the first place.)

My current plan right now to get back to where I was.

1. Save off the configuration on the Fios Quantum Gateway as it last was in a working bridge mode.

2. Reset the Fios Quantum Gateway to factory settings.

3. Confirm I have Internet. Call Verizion and report outage if the "automatic" refresh it performs when you call doesn't work.

4. Start over from step 1 of the original post; probably taking better notes or screenshots as I go.

At this point, all I know is the router doesn't have an public IP like it used to and simple restarts haven't done it. With the Fios Quantum gateway bridge, I can't get any usuable information from the "lights" to know what the problem is. And, calling Verizion isn't going to help me. They are going to say "they can't see the Router" and will want to schedule a service call.

-V

0 Likes
ggraves

NOTE: about bridging the Quantum Gateway G1100

Information about this is in DSLReports.com - Verizon FiOS FAQ. 

SEE: Verizon Online FiOS FAQ -> 3.2 Moca -> Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

There is a list of instructions for bridging routers, but the Verizon Quantum Gateway is not included there. Follow down the instructions and at step 2.5 here is added information that is not in the FAQ yet.

Instruction 2.5...

2.5a) The Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 is slightly different from the Actiontec MI424wr. If your primary router's broadband connection is provisioned over coax, you need to disable the remote router's coax WAN connection to prevent it from attempting to become the primary router. If your broadband connection from the ONT to your primary router is ethernet, this step may be unnecessary.

Click on the MY NETWORK icon at the top.

Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.

If youโ€™re using the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 as the remote router the Network Connections panel will show Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) instead of Broadband Connection (coax).

Click on Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)

The next panel displays Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Properties as its title. There is a Disable button at the top of the panel. There is also a Settings button at the bottom of the panel. You will come back to the Disable button.

Click on the Settings button.

The next panel displays the same title as the prior panel: Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Properties

In the middle of the panel next to the heading Enable/Disable Coax Link: there is a button labeled Disable.

Click on Disable.

Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the panel.

You will be taken to the Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) Properties panel that you saw before.

At the top of this screen there is a button labeled Disable

Click on Disable

Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the screen.

0 Likes