Re: You can bridge the Fios Quantum Gateway Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DavidV wrote:

No, but that's a good idea. I'll do that before I hit the reset button.

I haven't done any work on it yet. It died during the day while I'm here at work. The wife called and said the Internet was out. I had her Facetime me.

I had her reboot the Fios Quantum Gateway and we rebooted the switch, but trying to do anything more involved than some basics over Facetime isn't worth it.

Either way, I get to report back to the thread a better set of steps for bridging (assume I'm able to do it again in the first place.)

-V

Did you maybe receive a firmware upgrade?

Did you get it working again?

0 Likes
lybrand

I ordered upgrade to 150/150 with new 2 year agreement (so installation will be free) which will get WAN through Ethernet to router which I will downgrade back to current 75/75 next month with no penalty just for this reason (easier bridging). May be worth considering for others.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lybrand wrote:

I ordered upgrade to 150/150 with new 2 year agreement (so installation will be free) which will get WAN through Ethernet to router which I will downgrade back to current 75/75 next month with no penalty just for this reason (easier bridging). May be worth considering for others.

Seems a lot of effort to get wan via ethernet.  You just need to call fios tech support and they will change the ONT provisioning for you with you on the phone - takes about 15 minutes, no charge.

0 Likes
lybrand

Yes, if you already have WAN cable running to router from ONT which I don't

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I highly recommend lighting up on the Ethernet from the ONT if it's an option for you. When you do this, you don't need to use the Fios Quantum Gateway at all and can use any router you want.

I've had decreasing amount of success with the bridge from the original post. To recap:

I had the bridge working per the above thread(s).

I lost power at the ONT (GFCI tripped).

When it came back up, I couldn't get the bridge to fully work. It would appear that I was bridged, as my router would get a public IP, but I couldn't route.

I went so far as to retrace all my steps and reload the last known working bridge configuration. I even tried two different routers, the Edge Router I was using and a Netgear Nighthawk.

My Quantum Gateway is now sitting on a shelf and I'm not unhappy about it. Since I was able to I light up a CAT6 between my router and the ONT, and had Verizion flip it over to Ethernet, it works like a dream.

This is day 1.

-V

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@DavidV wrote:

My Quantum Gateway is now sitting on a shelf and I'm not unhappy about it. Since I was able to I light up a CAT6 between my router and the ONT, and had Verizion flip it over to Ethernet, it works like a dream.

This is day 1.

-V

I'm a FIOS newbie.  Interested in not having to use the Quantum Gateway.   Can you please explain what "light up" means.  Also "flip over".  Thank you.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is almost mandatory to use Quantum Gateway if you have FIOS TV service (some have figured it out but usually have to have it in the mix somewhere).

Light up means to provide service.

FIOS can provide Internet service via two medium. Most common is coax especially for those with TV service.

But if you have just Internet (and even if you have TV as well, but it would require both Ethernet and coax from ONT) you can have Verizon flip service to be Ethernet.

BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

It is almost mandatory to use Quantum Gateway if you have FIOS TV service (some have figured it out but usually have to have it in the mix somewhere).

Light up means to provide service.

FIOS can provide Internet service via two medium. Most common is coax especially for those with TV service.

But if you have just Internet (and even if you have TV as well, but it would require both Ethernet and coax from ONT) you can have Verizon flip service to be Ethernet.

The coax-or-ethernet cable decision is only for beyond the ONT, right?  Before the ONT, it's all fiber optic?  But being sensitive to the service provided means there's different stuff coming down the fiber optic depending upon the service chosen?  What is different?  Where can I go to lean more about what's going on?  I don't have a firm enough understanding on how FIOS is implemented.

BTW, right now I'm just getting internet.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a whole lot of info out there on exacly how FIOS works (try googling to see what you may find).

Verizon carries all 3 possible services (Internet, TV and Phone).

Device on your house (Optical Network Termination or ONT) takes the fiber and splits out the 3 services:

TV via COAX

Internet via Coax or Ethernet

Phone via RJ11 connector.

You run them in your house as needed.

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1
If the ONT can already supply all 3 services, what is the point of having Verizon "flip the service to be ethernet", which you mentioned in your previous post?
0 Likes