Youtube buffering horrible quality
zodd1
Enthusiast - Level 2

recently i have received a new router from Fios. After getting it all set up and running i now have extremely bad issuess with loading youtube (this was never an issue with the old router).  So i chatted with someone from Verizon about it. we went through every single step you could think of. even having Verizon release and renew me under a new ip address. NOTHING has done anything to help in the slightest.  this is over a LAN connection with a G3100. At this point i dont think i want to move forward with the service but i figured i would post here as a last hail marry before canceling

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Youtube buffering horrible quality
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@zodd wrote:

LAN is directly plugged into motherboard.  ASUS Q87M-E

That does not directly answer my question whether you are using an Intel NIC or not. I can lookup the motherboard model Asus Q87M-E for you... and bingo, it is using an Intel NIC.

So, Intel NIC does IPv6 TCP checksum offload which breaks your connection.

Go to your network adapter settings, select Intel NIC, configure, and disable IPv6 TCP checksum offload and you are done.

imageSource: docuware.com

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a WAN IPv6 address assigned?

Do you use Intel chip based Network Interface Cards?

zodd1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes to IPv6

At this point im using my phone because the verizon site no longer loads on my pc

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@zodd wrote:

That does not directly answer my question whether you are using an Intel NIC or not. I can lookup the motherboard model Asus Q87M-E for you... and bingo, it is using an Intel NIC.

Go to your network adapter settings, select Intel NIC, configure, and disable IPv6 TCP checksum offload and you are done.

zodd1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This seems to have worked. No buffering or anything before.  

Thank you sir for the help even though i was not the most helpful 

@Cang_Household wrote:

@zodd wrote:

DevinC1

Just want to confirm, IPv6 TCP checksum offload. Is the only one? What is highlighted is UDP IPV4. Is there multiple that need to be disabled?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

IPv6 Checksum is the only one.

DevinC1

UDP and TCP? 

0 Likes
DevinC1

Also. I did this and when I pull up youtube I still get the low quality and the buffering that takes forever. Talking with a friend he has the same issue and I am wired in. Works perfect when wireless but for some reason when wired in with 1G internet speeds it is causing problems.

Any other fix or solutions people can recommend?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Intel announced this issue since 2017. You can visit their pages for more information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19174/disabling-tcp-ipv6-checksum-offload-capabilit... . Apparently all 1GbE and 10GbE products are affected. Another solution would be swapping out the Intel adapter with a different vendor.