Re: Youtube buffering horrible quality
Reaper122
Enthusiast - Level 1

To make this clear for anyone who needs the clarification it is UDP IVP6 you need to disable  

aegies
Enthusiast - Level 1

Disabling UDP for IPv6 worked both for my youtube buffering problems and general image/cookie loading problems after some kind of firmware update was pushed to verizon routers recently. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep. This is correct. Google/YouTube, and a few other large providers, use UDP (with TCP as fallback) to speed up video delivery and improve latency of connections. QUIC and DTLS for example. On the Intel NICs you have to disable both TCP and UDP Checksum Offloading for IPv6 to completely solve the problem. Intel's fix is workable but incomplete.

R017
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same issue: did this fix: it worked and I basically yelled, "**bleep**" out loud to nobody O_o

Thanks!

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@aegies wrote:

Disabling UDP for IPv6 worked both for my youtube buffering problems and general image/cookie loading problems after some kind of firmware update was pushed to verizon routers recently. 

There was no firmware update to Verizon equipment.  This issue is completely solved by disabling UDP and TCP checksum offload in the device driver for Intel network interfaces.