Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu

Youtube buffering horrible quality

SOLVED
Reaper122
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Youtube buffering horrible quality

Message 11 of 15
(1,384 Views)

To make this clear for anyone who needs the clarification it is UDP IVP6 you need to disable  

aegies
Contributor
Contributor

Message 12 of 15
(1,345 Views)

Disabling UDP for IPv6 worked both for my youtube buffering problems and general image/cookie loading problems after some kind of firmware update was pushed to verizon routers recently. 

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 13 of 15
(1,256 Views)

Yep. This is correct. Google/YouTube, and a few other large providers, use UDP (with TCP as fallback) to speed up video delivery and improve latency of connections. QUIC and DTLS for example. On the Intel NICs you have to disable both TCP and UDP Checksum Offloading for IPv6 to completely solve the problem. Intel's fix is workable but incomplete.

R017
Contributor
Contributor

Message 14 of 15
(1,010 Views)

I was having the same issue: did this fix: it worked and I basically yelled, "**bleep**" out loud to nobody O_o

Thanks!

gs0b
Platinum Contributor I Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Message 15 of 15
(970 Views)

@aegies wrote:

Disabling UDP for IPv6 worked both for my youtube buffering problems and general image/cookie loading problems after some kind of firmware update was pushed to verizon routers recently. 

There was no firmware update to Verizon equipment.  This issue is completely solved by disabling UDP and TCP checksum offload in the device driver for Intel network interfaces.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title