Re: Youtube slow!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In previous "YouTube is slow!" threads around here, as well as on other websites people have often found the problem to appear to be at a peering point between Verizon and Google's network, or due to a bad router once into Google's network. From experience, often times changing DNS servers (like you did) and toying with the Quality Selector a few times (choosing lower quality, then the quality you want) often times will switch you to a better server if it isn't a point of peering issue. If you are using Firefox, look at the bottom of the window for the YouTube server name. It'll be something that has text such as "lscache2.c.youtube.com" in it's name. If you perform a traceroute to the slow video server while the connection is idle, post up the results for us and we'll see where the problem could be.

Traceroutes can be ran by opening up Command Prompt (cmd via Run or Start Menu Search box) and by entering in the following command:

tracert servernamehere

Pressing Enter will start the program. Results can be pasted by right clicking the window, choosing "Mark" and highlighting the results or by choosing Select All, and then pressing Enter to paste the results. From there it's just a matter of Copy/Paste 🙂

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

In previous "YouTube is slow!" threads around here, as well as on other websites people have often found the problem to appear to be at a peering point between Verizon and Google's network, or due to a bad router once into Google's network. From experience, often times changing DNS servers (like you did) and toying with the Quality Selector a few times (choosing lower quality, then the quality you want) often times will switch you to a better server if it isn't a point of peering issue. If you are using Firefox, look at the bottom of the window for the YouTube server name. It'll be something that has text such as "lscache2.c.youtube.com" in it's name. If you perform a traceroute to the slow video server while the connection is idle, post up the results for us and we'll see where the problem could be.

Traceroutes can be ran by opening up Command Prompt (cmd via Run or Start Menu Search box) and by entering in the following command:

tracert servernamehere

Pressing Enter will start the program. Results can be pasted by right clicking the window, choosing "Mark" and highlighting the results or by choosing Select All, and then pressing Enter to paste the results. From there it's just a matter of Copy/Paste 🙂

Smith

I'm also having the slow and choppy Youtube issue, which I have regardless of the quality.

I cleared the cache and changes the DNS settings as described in your post and it did not resolve the problem.

I performed a Trace route on the server.  Can you interpret what the issue may be?  Here is the result of the Trace route:

Tracing route to v8.cache1.c.youtube.com [74.125.214.23]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    16 ms     8 ms     9 ms  L100.BLTMMD-VFTTP-58.verizon-gni.net [173.67.38.
1]
  3    11 ms     8 ms    10 ms  G0-8-3-6.BLTMMD-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.1
82.184]
  4    12 ms     7 ms     9 ms  130.81.199.2
  5    14 ms     9 ms    11 ms  0.so-6-0-3.XL3.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.32.133]
  6    16 ms    20 ms    19 ms  TenGigE0-6-2-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.37.78]

7    38 ms    39 ms     *     google-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.50.62]
  8     *       15 ms    19 ms  216.239.46.250
  9     *       14 ms    18 ms  209.85.240.98
 10    16 ms    21 ms    21 ms  74.125.214.23

Trace complete.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks to be a problem on Google's end. I don't see anything immediately wrong with the trace, besides the google-gw hop having elevated latency which has been a problem for quite a while. It doesn't seem to affect speeds during the day when it is doing that, so it is possible that router has traceroute and ping replies on low priority.

0 Likes
houkou_onchi
Enthusiast - Level 3

This appears to be the same thing mentioned in the past. It looks like google is saturating its links to alter.net. Knowing google its probably free peering or its actual transit and google is possibly being to cheap to upgrade capacity because VZ wont' peer with them (hard to say) but if willing to pay I don't see any reason why google shoudn't be able to resolve the problem themselves.