YOUTUBE SLOWDOWN
unsatisfieddddd

Dear Verizon,

Please stop throttling/slowing down youtube.

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Re: YOUTUBE SLOWDOWN
jonjones1
Legend

@unsatisfieddddd wrote:

Dear Verizon,

Please stop throttling/slowing down youtube.

Thank you. 

Ok I will do that.

this is a customer helping customer forum. So Verizon will probably not see your post.

however if you read on the net the throttling is on Verizon Wireless side and not Fios which does not cap.

if you have issues with YouTube it may be due to congestion on your neighborhood pipe which Verizon cannot fix due to internet traffic.

i can tell you my wife looks at YouTube all the time and it's never slow for her.

in fact it's not slow on her Verizon wireless either. She must be lucky 😀

0 Likes
dolphumous

Since upgrading to gigabit - youtube buffers on the regular.

0 Likes
moca1

got a similar problem, since upgrading to Gigabit youtube TV is going on very low quality while casting to the TV. sometimes it works fine and suddenly quality goes down.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@dolphumous wrote:

Since upgrading to gigabit - youtube buffers on the regular.

Howdy neighbor (sort of) what type of device you using? Computer directly connected to your router? Private own router? Verizon bought/rented Quantum Gateway G1100?

if you use a device on WiFi it may be way slower than a direct ethernet connection on the lan port of the router.

Did you test your router connection here https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

see if you are getting the 940/880 speeds for Fios in our area. If it is try Youtube on a desktop or laptop computer connection via ethernet to a lan port on the router and see if that is better.

I often use a Apple iPad 4 mini to do internet or my Acer All in One connected via ethernet and my YouTube does not buffer or fault that often. It sometimes spins a thinner in the middle of my view but very rare.

my wife watches it every evening and has no issues on her Apple iPad or her IMac or iPhone 8+ but then where we live we don’t have saturation like some areas.

if you can restart your device, computers, or even your router and see if that helps.

you could also have a bad router or ONT, ethernet cable, or the router could be bad.

at the first thing I would “blame” that it may be Youtube itself.

I know Netflix and Hulu always blame the device, then your connection, and it’s never them. Right....

if you check on the net many people have similar issues and they don’t use Fios 

call 1-800-VERIZON and have tech support see if you have the provisioned speeds, and have them troubleshoot your router. This way you can rule them out as the problem.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@moca wrote:

got a similar problem, since upgrading to Gigabit youtube TV is going on very low quality while casting to the TV. sometimes it works fine and suddenly quality goes down.

Ahh your issue is different. It is totally a device issue not a Fios issue. 

On Apple devices you can grab a program say from Amazon Prime (which will be coming to Apple TV ) beam it to a tv etc. and many times it plays fine. Other times it stutters or shows a black screen. (I had to buy a Roku to see Amazon Prime since I was sick of having the casting crap out)

You can also cast with other services (Roku casting is atrocious so don’t even bother trying it) but again it has to do between the sending device and receiving device.

0 Likes
anything4

Are you stating that my FIOS internet is not coming into my apartment via the fiber optic wires, and Verizon is sending the signally to my rpouter via Verizon Wireless without my consent?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it's FiOS, it's Fiber Optic. HomeFusion, and Home Connect are the wireless products. Verizon has also not announced a commerical 5G broadband product.

What some people mean is that Wi-Fi is often used to deliver the connectivity to the end device after the Fiber connection lands in your home. It's best to try a hardwired connection (or at the minimum make sure you're using 5Ghz) in practice as a result.

0 Likes