Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed
Sarsfield1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am convinced that you cannot use the Actiontec as your wireless hub.  I never got close to my contract speeds with only the supplied router.  Simply buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

I am getting my advertised speeds wirelessly with an Asus RT-N56U on a consistent basis.

ShawnWCummings1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm getting Fios this week.  I currently have Comcast's 100/10 internet package - but thought I'd share my high-speed experience, and how I got the speeds I was paying for.

With the 100/10 package, I was connected from the cable modem to my consumer router and then hard wired to my Macbook.  Speed tests would be about 20-28M, when they should have been 100M.  I tried (3) different brand routers, all producing the same results.  The last 2 consumer routers were GigE routers.

I spoke to some network friends of mine, who weren't surprised that consumer grade routers couldn't do 100M.

So I took a spare PC I had, and installed (2) GiGE cards... Using SmoothWall I turned it into a homemade router.  So now my chain of devices was cable modem to SmoothWall to GigE switch to Macbook.  Now I get MAXIMUM speeds.

Although, wireless is still a choke point.  I dangle the wireless router off the switch, and still get about 15M.  But my wired devices have full access to my bandwidth.

prisaz
Legend

I like IP Cop with Dan'S guardian loaded. But if you are signing up for 150/65 there should be no issues with the Verizon supplied GigE router when hard wired.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Sarsfield wrote:

... buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

I am getting my advertised speeds wirelessly with an Asus RT-N56U on a consistent basis.

Ditto using an Asus RT-N16:

plmariusz1

Question: I recently upgraded my internet to 50/25mbp/s and the download speed is terrible. By download speed I dont mean the speed on the speedtest, I'm reffering to a speed in "download window" (ctrl+j speed is highlighted in yellow color) It used to be 1.8MB/s on WIRELESS now I can hardly get 1.0MB/s on wired.

I posted my question here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Slow-speed/m-p/527313#M34720

0 Likes
Re: How to Get the Fastest FiOS Speed - PM Slow Down Since 1-21-2013
Joe-Lpool

I have noticed very slow FiOS Internet speed in the evenings after 5 PM, since Monday 1/21. In the early morning speed is good and fast like it's supposed to be. Opened a Verizon ticket and worked trough troubleshooting for about 2 hours. The tech recommended a new router. I received it and installed it on Sun 1/28. Same issue. Good service in the early AM, Verizon pages and email access VERY SLOW and  time-out in the evening PM hours. I'm in Liverpool just outside of Syracuse. Anyone else seeing this?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am hearing a lot of people out of NY,   I think they have an outage that is going on out that way,   

smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep, consistent with what I see in PA.  I was testing all day on Sunday and I was happy.

After dinner time, it went to dirt.  Guess all the Netflix and Amazon streaming kills things

badly.  Shouldn't be the case, but that's the way it appears.

0 Likes
Sanctus1

Interesting that there is such a widespread issue vis a vis the supplied ActionTec router and the connection speeds.   In my case, I just upgraded to 50/25 from 15/5 and while the upload speeds will go up to 25, the download speeds never go above 20 and they usually hover between 15-17, the same speed I had before the upgrade.  Mind you this is on a clean Windows 7 PC with no third party software connected with a 10/100/1000 GB NIC with a Cat 6 cable.   When I take the same PC to my friend's house in LI, I clock the speeds at about 60 down and 35 up.   I have already spoken with Verizon and they throttled up my connection to 50/35, but the download speeds never go over 20 and usually remain at 15-17.  They seem to think it is the router which is possible, but I suspect that the Network Interface at my house and\or on the Telephone pole could have something to do with it.   They are sending me a new router, so I'll see what happens.

0 Likes
Arysta
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am convinced that you cannot use the Actiontec as your wireless hub.  I never got close to my contract speeds with only the supplied router.  Simply buy a decently rated N router and use this guide to set it up:

This is the solution.  All day long.  The Actiontec routers don't support 802.11n, so you're handcuffed to 802.11g speeds.  Thoeretically, g speeds are supposed to reach 54mpbs, but they never go that fast for a variety of reasons.  You'll get up to maybe 27mpbs if you don't have much interference with which to deal.  Of course, there's no point in getting an n router if your devices can only see the g standard, so check that out before buying anything new.