Any way to fix these wastes of customers' time?
timetoswitch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why does ?FIOS always go to their lousy channel when you turn on the tv instead of the last channel you viewed?

Why do you always get annoying spam popups for on demand crap when you are trying to accomplish something else?

Is there any way to fix either of these annoying issues?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to fix these eastes of customers' time?
roze318
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't experience the channel issue that you're having. If you actually power down every time you "turn off the TV" then you need to set the "Power On Channel" to last viewed channel. Menu button on remote, Settings >> System >> Set-Top Box >> Power On channel >> Last Viewed Channel.

As for the annoying promotional popup about the $1 movie... I too am sick and tired of it! It has NO MEMORY. So if I launch on Demand 25 times in one day, I have to see that horrid message 25 times. EVERY OTHER notification can be disabled, deleted, turned off... except that one. My patience is wearing thin. Yup! Time to switch. Research begins tomorrow.

>>>>>>>>>>>EXCERPT from my very own Verizon "notification" that I'll be posting, sending, and calling in .......

Verizon... Can you hear me now?????

My patience is wearing thin on a number of issues.
Last night all three of them reared their ugly heads so I finally called into Tech Support for some information and assistance. Alas, they were feckless, although the tech I spoke with was patient and let me vent. He gets it.

First I accidentally entered an HBO channel number and discovered that there is a free premium. AGAIN you fail to notify your customers of any free previews!!!! Really? Are you that apathetic or are you that greedy? Why can't you  inform us when there is a chance that we just might be able to see a free movie or two?!!!!! I pay you thousands of dollars a year but you can't be bothered to alert me to this?!!!!

Then I launch On Demand only to be presented for the hundredth time, with that annoying, tortuous message about the $1 off movies. That's the one that I have to suffer through EVERY SINGLE TIME I launch On Demand. I cannot mark it read...I cannot stop it...I cannot disable it... and it is too stupid to remember that I've already seen it that same year, that same month, that same week, that same day, that same hour and that same minute!!

Finally, I encounter another night of On Demand Maintenance. Really? Are you people trying to get your customers to leave you?!! Why on earth are you performing maintenance so often? Why don't you have a development system? a QA system? These outages are becoming a routine occurrence...and all of them during the middle of the night...when some of us need On Demand because there is CRRRRAP on television--only informercials at that time!! You need to work out all your "maintenance" issues (I have a bridge to sell anyone who believes they are just maintaining things) on a mirrored system, not the production system that we all PAY FOR!!!!!

Frankly, it seems that you are trying to get customers to leave. Do you care so little? Next it will be another rate increase...then some of us will instead switch to Netflix, hulu... and that will mean you (Verizon tech, rep, biller, coder, engineer) may not have a job in a year. This is the US of A. We can do better than this and you'll have to. The times (and technology) are a changin' dontchaknow.

It would take almost NOTHING to code a "Do Not Remind Me Again" option for that incessant promotion.

It would take NOTHING to add a Verizon message about free premium previews.

Lastly, a company as large as Verizon should not be taking its system down as often as you do. You do so without any regard for the money you've received from your customers--money that pays for the daytime and nighttime programming. You do so without any regard for the inconvenience and frustration that you cause them over and over and over again, with nothing more than a weak on-screen apology in return (which I guess is better than that oh-so-snarky message the first time this trend began. Yes, many of us saw that!)

View solution in original post

Re: Any way to fix these wastes of customers' time?
timetoswitch
Enthusiast - Level 2

corrected typo in Re:

0 Likes
roze318
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't experience the channel issue that you're having. If you actually power down every time you "turn off the TV" then you need to set the "Power On Channel" to last viewed channel. Menu button on remote, Settings >> System >> Set-Top Box >> Power On channel >> Last Viewed Channel.

As for the annoying promotional popup about the $1 movie... I too am sick and tired of it! It has NO MEMORY. So if I launch on Demand 25 times in one day, I have to see that horrid message 25 times. EVERY OTHER notification can be disabled, deleted, turned off... except that one. My patience is wearing thin. Yup! Time to switch. Research begins tomorrow.

>>>>>>>>>>>EXCERPT from my very own Verizon "notification" that I'll be posting, sending, and calling in .......

Verizon... Can you hear me now?????

My patience is wearing thin on a number of issues.
Last night all three of them reared their ugly heads so I finally called into Tech Support for some information and assistance. Alas, they were feckless, although the tech I spoke with was patient and let me vent. He gets it.

First I accidentally entered an HBO channel number and discovered that there is a free premium. AGAIN you fail to notify your customers of any free previews!!!! Really? Are you that apathetic or are you that greedy? Why can't you  inform us when there is a chance that we just might be able to see a free movie or two?!!!!! I pay you thousands of dollars a year but you can't be bothered to alert me to this?!!!!

Then I launch On Demand only to be presented for the hundredth time, with that annoying, tortuous message about the $1 off movies. That's the one that I have to suffer through EVERY SINGLE TIME I launch On Demand. I cannot mark it read...I cannot stop it...I cannot disable it... and it is too stupid to remember that I've already seen it that same year, that same month, that same week, that same day, that same hour and that same minute!!

Finally, I encounter another night of On Demand Maintenance. Really? Are you people trying to get your customers to leave you?!! Why on earth are you performing maintenance so often? Why don't you have a development system? a QA system? These outages are becoming a routine occurrence...and all of them during the middle of the night...when some of us need On Demand because there is CRRRRAP on television--only informercials at that time!! You need to work out all your "maintenance" issues (I have a bridge to sell anyone who believes they are just maintaining things) on a mirrored system, not the production system that we all PAY FOR!!!!!

Frankly, it seems that you are trying to get customers to leave. Do you care so little? Next it will be another rate increase...then some of us will instead switch to Netflix, hulu... and that will mean you (Verizon tech, rep, biller, coder, engineer) may not have a job in a year. This is the US of A. We can do better than this and you'll have to. The times (and technology) are a changin' dontchaknow.

It would take almost NOTHING to code a "Do Not Remind Me Again" option for that incessant promotion.

It would take NOTHING to add a Verizon message about free premium previews.

Lastly, a company as large as Verizon should not be taking its system down as often as you do. You do so without any regard for the money you've received from your customers--money that pays for the daytime and nighttime programming. You do so without any regard for the inconvenience and frustration that you cause them over and over and over again, with nothing more than a weak on-screen apology in return (which I guess is better than that oh-so-snarky message the first time this trend began. Yes, many of us saw that!)

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@timetoswitch wrote:

Why does ?FIOS always go to their lousy channel when you turn on the tv instead of the last channel you viewed?

Why do you always get annoying spam popups for on demand crap when you are trying to accomplish something else?

Is there any way to fix either of these annoying issues?

Theres a setting to change that.  Menu/SETTINGS/Sytem/xxxxx/power on channel.  Note the xxxx varies depeding on STB but is usually last (on A VMS it says Media Server Settings). 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) This is mainly a peer to peer forum. I know some people need to vent but don't expect a Verizon response here.

2) Not sure if it will help, but there are multiple things that can be disabled to prevent different types of pop-ups and notifications. I have them all disabled and don't remember seeing the type of pop-ups you are referencing.

3) I also don't see the on-demand maintenance issues you are seeing. I don't do VOD that often, but can't say that it has ever not been avaialble when I wanted it. I am East Coast. Not sure where you are if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
timetoswitch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well said--and thank you for the solution

0 Likes
timetoswitch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!

0 Likes
timetoswitch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Venting may be more useful than you think--my first post on this forum yesterday was escalated by a Verizon moderator and actually generated a response from a Verizon person. Sadly, many companies which are slow to respond to polite customer inquiries are quick to respond to public complaints.

0 Likes
stevebri
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also experience the OP's problem all the time. I've tried everything and I can't stop it.

I'm also annoyed at the aggressive advertising whenever i try to go to the channel guide, I got to look at an ad first.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model STB do you have?

I am on Quantum and don't see pop-ups. There are several places in the menu that you have to disable to stop annoying ads.

0 Likes