Re: dropping bloomberg TV
CraiginNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon's dropping Bloomberg TV is a problem is stoooopid on their part.  There's no substitute for it and its scrolling sidebar during the workday and for technology investing news.  It was a gotta-have prerequisite TV requirement for me when I came to FiOS and it still is.

So it is just a matter of time before I leave Verizon and move to Comcast or Direct TV.  And then I'll be pulled to Comcast's mobile phone service and hotspots.  Guess what, Verizon -- you're gonna lose over $4,000 a year just because you made me look at my bills and options.  I'll take my time because I'm busy with other things right now, but the clock is ticking.  Even if you brought Bloomberg TV back (as a premium channel if necessary) you're gonna loose thousands one way or another (e.g., Ooma) just because you made me look!

CharlesY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did a little research and I think I have found that Roku has an Bloomberg TV app that you can stream in Bloomberg TV free to the TV through a Roku hooked up to an HDMI port.  So I disconnected the FIOS DVR (not using it anyway, given the superior Tivo connection) and hooked up the old Roku - turns out I need a new Roku since my old old Roku won't accept update to new channels.  Have purchased the new 2017 Roku ultra for $90 and picking it up tomorrow.  I'll post here if I can get the Bloomberg free piped to my TV through my new Roku Ultra.

Then I said to myself - why not now delete the FIOS DVR rental and corresponding fee from my bill.  But the "my account" is not giving me an option to delete the DVR except at a slightly higher monthly price.  What gives with that?  Paying a monthly rental fee for a box that is now going to sit unused in the basement?  Has anyone "cracked the code" of deleting that last FIOS DVR box?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure that online they will allow you to have a tv package without either a cable card or stb. Probably aren't set up for people that would be ok with watching everything via apps vs using a STB.

May have to call customer services directly to do so. And I wouldn't be surprised if they can't do it either.
Would suck, but you can probably save a couple of bucks by "renting" a cable card instead of STB.

CharlesY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - well I have no problem keeping the cable card rental; I guess I did not make it clear that I already rent the cable card in order to hook in the Tivo Roamio device.  What I don't need is both the FIOS Dvr and the cable card, and it is not letting me rent just the cable card and delete the FIOS dvr.  I'll follow up.

As to the Bloomberg programming, I was indeed able to stream free (no pay) Bloomberg Live in beautiful HD onto the family room TV today through a new Roku device (the Ultra).  The FIOS Dvr has been replaced by the Roku on the TV's HDMI 1; HDMI 2 has the Tivo Mini (connected to a Tivo Roamio DVR in the basement); HDMI 3 has a rarely used Sony DVD player.   I also added a bunch of channels to the Roku.  Showtime is now being accessed through Amazon Prime which is connected to the Tivo, as is Netflix and Hulu.  The Tivo has a great channel guide which encompasses what is available on the Netflix and Hulu and the Verizon FIOS channels (piped through the Tivo) and outstanding and very easy recording features.  With the Tivo minis all around the house the recordings are available everywheren on the various TVs.  Plus, the overall monthly bills amount wonderfully to 20% less than the pre-Bloomberg denial era, with continuing triple play on FIOS and now better 150 mb upload download speeds. 

Thanks to the Bloomberg denial which rendered the question of what-the-devil, I have judiciously slashed but not burned and rather upgraded the whole experience.

rental fee
CharlesY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So - on the equipment DVR rental issue I called and the Fios rep said that they first had to increase the DVR monthly rental fee, then when I return it I will get the whole rental fee off.  So I agreed, and we'll see if it comes off.

0 Likes
Bloomberg TV not the same
CharlesY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

As others have mentioned above, the Bloomberg TV available on these other sites including Roku and free Pluto is not the same Bloomberg TV.  It is missing the news banner on the right and the stock ticker at the bottom.  It is also missing the commercials, and apparently when the commercials are playing you see a screen with stock index information.  I'd rather see the commercials and the stock ticker/streaming news.  Would love to know of a Fios competitor that is streaming the complete Bloomberg, with the ticker and news.  Does anyone know if the Comcast Bloomberg channel does it?  If so, can cancel the Fios subscription and challenge and/or pay the contract breaking fee.

0 Likes
Re: losing access to Bloomberg News
bristollucy
Contributor - Level 1

PA also. This is a terrible decision.  

0 Likes
bristollucy
Contributor - Level 1

This is a terrible decision. Programming doesn't care what we want, just what they can show management what money they can save the company.

0 Likes
CraiginNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe it is all just political?  The exectives or board of Verizon just wants to make Bloomberg suffer and prevent it from being used to report objective news (since most news these days seems to embarrass Trump)?  If so, Verizon is preventing freedom of speech / freedom of the press by trying to deny an opposing viewpoint access to the public.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or its a business decision.

Verizon has stated they were removing the channel because they were charging for content that was being offered for free on the Internet.

Some have stated it is not identical, but may very well be substantialy the same.

0 Likes