DVR issue with show overrun by 1 minute
Jedidog1

New customer to FIOS.  Loving the service so far however, I am encountering a problem with show overrun.

I am DVRing two shows at 9pm. I am also attempting to DVR two shows at 10pm.

Show A (records from 9:00-10:01) is scheduled to run until 10:01pm.  Therefore the FIOS DVR will not allow me to record 3 shows, even though Show A is only going over by one minute. 

Cablevision used to allow me to alter the recording time by changing the recording time by a minute.  Ergo, my 10pm show could be recorded from 10:01 -11:00.  I don't care if I miss the first minute recap of the show.

Is there anyway for this to happen?  To be able to alter the actual record time, so that it would not completely disregard the entire 10pm show I want to record?

Thanks in advance! Robot Very Happy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR issue with show overrun by 1 minute
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The only way to do what you want is to not use the guide for scheduling the recording and set up a manual recording (under the DVR MENU) with you entering channel, start and end times.  Clumsy, but effective.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The only way to do what you want is to not use the guide for scheduling the recording and set up a manual recording (under the DVR MENU) with you entering channel, start and end times.  Clumsy, but effective.

0 Likes
Jedidog1

I think that might be the solution!!

I set up MANUAL RECORDING.  I entered the time manually as 10:01 pm.   It does not say what the program is, but I entered all the information; channel, time, recurring, etc..... It is now on my Schedule to record.

Thanks so much!   Now I can see that blowhard Donald Trump on The Apprentice and still record guilty pleasure Jersey Shore.Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
JimCD

Being a new user of FIOS, I'm finding that my DVR seems to be one minute behind. Many recorded shows (Modern Family & Glee) cut off the last minute but have stuff at the beginning that's part of the prior show.

Is there any way to adjust the time on the DVR? I can't find it in settings or anywhere else.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

It's not the DVR, it's the dumb networks that like to go over their time, starting late and ending late. There is no way for you to change the time on the DVR. You can modify the start and end times of a recording though. It's always good to start it 5 minutes before and end it 5 minutes late.

0 Likes
JimCD

Thanks...that's what I am doing now.

0 Likes
kennyaz

2 programs in a row is not possible to record in full,missing the last punchline moments, overrun blocks the sequential program !!!Never have had this issue with Direct TV DVR.

0 Likes
Lets_Go_Mets
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another solution we use is, when recording multiple shows airing at the same time, to look for alternate airings.

For example, Sunday night is a big night for us. We record:

The Apprentice

The Good Wife

HBO Show of the season - Luck, Boardwalk Empire, etc...

Oprah  show (don't even remember the name but my Wife says 'you better record it')

Shows like The Apprentice and The Good Wife are network shows airing just once, so they need to recorded at that time.

HBO shows are also on the west coast stations so we schedule the recording on that channel instead.

Oprah (and many other shows on basic cable) is on multiple times a night so that too can be recorded later in the evening.

0 Likes
afrodriguez78
Enthusiast - Level 1

Manual recording is not so much a 'solution' as it is a workaround. Come on Verizon even Comcast automatically just clips the 1 minute of off the next show and their DVR is terrible.

tonycaruso49
Enthusiast - Level 1

Although the solution offered will work, it's a pain in the you know what to set up a manual recording.

I have had the same issue many times and manual was the only way to go.

Then I noticed that Verizon added a 1 minute option to their "Modify Start & End Time" options. However, I think they missed the boat on this code change.

The new "1 minute" option only allows you to "Start 1 minute Early" or "End 1 minute late". Huh ? This does not work for the following scenario:

My Scheduled recordings for 10/08/2013:

Start          Show                         Duration              

8:00 PM - NCIS                          8:00 to  9:00 PM

8:00 PM - Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D.  8:00 to   9:01 PM

9:00 PM - NCIS L.A.                  9:00 to 10:00 PM **

9:00 PM - Supernatural            9:00 to 10:00 PM

NCIS L.A. in this scenario will not record because Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D runs one minute over 9:00 PM.

The obvious "easy" fix for Verizon is to add a "Start 1 minute late" & "End 1 minute early" option.

Of course, my own personal preference would be to eliminate all of the "Hard Coded" minute options and provide the user with an interface to enter the minutes they require.

If folks from Verizon are listening to this, it's not a big code change. I speak from 30 years of programming exprience.

Thank you.