MSG HD
Xenchu1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any news on when Verizon will be able to get MSG HD? I realize Cablevision owns the channel, but has there been any progress with an agreement to make the channel available for FiOS?  MSG regular stinks...and the Knicks are looking good.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MSG HD
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Last I heard, the FCC ruled that Cablevision is not allowed to deny FIOS (and other cable providers) access the MSG HD. Cablevision was going to contest the ruling. I havent heard anything since. But even if FIOS was granted permission tomorrow to carry the channel. It is unlikely that it be be able to be built in and broadcast before summer at the earliest (probably much later than that).

First Verizon doesnt currently have room for another HD channel. They are upgrading their system to handle more but they are not ready yet. Once ready, they have quite a list of channels that they are wanting to add. And those are the channels that are ready compatible with connecting with the Verizon services. MSG HD was never set up to go to other providers so that has to be built in too.

So between the FCC ruling still in question, Verizon's lack of space for HD at the moment, and the building of the broadcast to get the channel to Verizon. I would not hold out any hope of getting it for this season anyway.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Last I heard, the FCC ruled that Cablevision is not allowed to deny FIOS (and other cable providers) access the MSG HD. Cablevision was going to contest the ruling. I havent heard anything since. But even if FIOS was granted permission tomorrow to carry the channel. It is unlikely that it be be able to be built in and broadcast before summer at the earliest (probably much later than that).

First Verizon doesnt currently have room for another HD channel. They are upgrading their system to handle more but they are not ready yet. Once ready, they have quite a list of channels that they are wanting to add. And those are the channels that are ready compatible with connecting with the Verizon services. MSG HD was never set up to go to other providers so that has to be built in too.

So between the FCC ruling still in question, Verizon's lack of space for HD at the moment, and the building of the broadcast to get the channel to Verizon. I would not hold out any hope of getting it for this season anyway.

Xenchu1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your in-depth insight as to why we are being deprived of Knicks HD basketball.  I hadn't realized FiOS had a limit as to how many HD channels it can hold. Good to know. Again, Thanks.

0 Likes
skohly1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So if Jim Dolan of Cablevision decided today to say to Verizon, "Go ahead fellows and put on MSGHD now" Verizon would not be able to?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Its believed, but not confirmed, that verizon has saved space for this for the local area that would get it.  Nationwide would be a different issue.

@skohly wrote:

So if Jim Dolan of Cablevision decided today to say to Verizon, "Go ahead fellows and put on MSGHD now" Verizon would not be able to?

0 Likes
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is correct. Verizon in the NY/NJ area has channels 578-581 reserved for MSG HD, MSG2HD, MSG Plus HD and MSG Plus 2 HD. The hearing was held on February in the US Court of Appeals - DC Circuit (Case # 10-1062 for those scoring at home), and no decision has come down as of yet.

0 Likes
IceManNYR
Enthusiast - Level 2

spacedebris wrote:First Verizon doesnt currently have room for another HD channel. They are upgrading their system to handle more but they are not ready yet. Once ready, they have quite a list of channels that they are wanting to add. And those are the channels that are ready compatible with connecting with the Verizon services. MSG HD was never set up to go to other providers so that has to be built in too.

FiOS might have a lack of space to add national HD channels but on the VHO level there should be empty QAM channels reserved for local broadcast channels and Regional Sports Networks.

0 Likes
paulgs31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I coworker told me someting hit the news, but she had no idea what it was about.

I found this: http://beta.fcc.gov/document/cablevision-systems-corporation-v-fcc-usa-no-10-1062-dc-cir dated 10 Jun 2011, and in all honesty, I have absolutely no clue what-so-ever what the heck this document is trying to say. I can't speak legalese.

0 Likes
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is another link to it. Click on the one dated 6/10/11. I am not a lawyer, but it looks to me like the US Court of Appeals is saying that they will not interfere with the FCC's decison. I hope I am interpreting that correctly. If so, we should get MSG HD soon, but I have no idea when.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/court-opinions-filings-cases

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

What the court said in part was that the FCC could make such decisions but could not be arbitrary.  The matter was remanded back to the FCC.  Read the last couple of pages of

http://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/C1FE98D7BAAC92FC852578AB004EC1CA/$file/10-1062-13...

0 Likes