Netflix as a Widget
Varg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there any demand or interest in having Netflix added to the library of widgets? Value your input.

Re: Netflix as a Widget
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For me, no. I am happy with smart TV or roku to access all apps instead of widgets.

Would prefer they expend any software resources on improving quantum system.

0 Likes
The-Watcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would love a widget for Netflix. The things I miss most about Comcast are the Netflix integration and the voice remote. My son only had to say Netflix and he was up and running.

Firemannj1987
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to be able to get to Netflix as a widget.  I just changed service from Comcast xfinity with voice activation so all I had to do was speak into the clicker and Netflix appeared.  I really want something that simple with my new fios.  The voice clicker was almost the reason for not changing over to fios.  I did hear that fios is working on this you guys need to hurry up.  That one device is so vital to a simple and enjoyable watching experience and I want my Netflix widget too.

Firemannj1987
Enthusiast - Level 1

Exactly.  I miss that and I only installed fios today.  I was afraid that would be a huge issue for me and so far it is.

starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Definitely  -  the sooner the better

Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Absolutely agree!  As someone who switched from Comcast / Xfinity's X1 platform, two months ago, it is apparent that Verizon's FIOS platform has a lot of catching up to do.  Comcast engineers did a great job of integrating Netflix into X1 as an app.  On Comcast's X1 platform, apps are roughly equivalent to FIOS widgets, except that they are nicely integrated into the platform.

So, using the powerful X1's voice command feature (also missing from FIOS) you can search for content without having to painstakingly type through the FIOS search window.  The best part is that search results INCLUDE content that is available both on Comcast AND on Netflix.  

So with Comcast, X1 is a powerful "hub" that enables you to find content across Comcast or Netflix from one place without having to switch sources on your TV to Roku, or a smart TV app.  Comcast plans on expanding the X1 capabilities across providers other than Netflix.  

As for Verizon, FIOS was great when it came out but has not kept pace with the competition in many ways.  Still Verizon has a superior network, so maybe they are willing to concede the content delivery competition to Comcast.

0 Likes
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Absolutely!  My parents got FIOS back in 2004 and from what I've seen, Quantum/FIOS has barely changed since then!  It is truly surprising that Verizon has allowed it's Quantum / FIOS platform fall so far behind Comcast's X1 platform in terms of features and ease of use.  My girlfriend is totally disappointed and complains about how much she misses Comcast nearly every day.

I cannot argue with her.  I never thought I would miss the Comcast voice commands and Netflix integration as much as I do!  Even the Comcast remotes are much superior.  They light up completely and are much easier to use in the dark.  

If Verizon has no plans to remain competetive with Comcast technology-wise, I may be better off absorbing the early termination fee and switching back to Comcast.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All,

Verizon has started roll out of Netflix support on quantum hardware.

A few areas have it now and expected (if no issues) to be rolled out to all by 12/4.

0 Likes