Re: New FiOS menu colors?
AlphaB
Contributor - Level 1

@EvanVanVan

I live in NJ, I wonder if we got a different IMG update? I'm on Release 1.9.1, build number 14.47

DITTO!

I'm wondering if the "colors" has anything to do with the model type of the TVs? 

I have 2 Toshiba's.  The "colors" look like the 2nd photo I posted.  However, in checking the 1 Sony tv I have, the "colors" looks exactly like your 2nd photo!

The Toshiba's are self calibrating.  On the Sony I have to manually calibrate.  Tried as I might, I couldn't get the guide "colors" to match the Toshibas.

0 Likes
cxg331
Contributor - Level 1

@AlphaB wrote:

@@EvanVanVan

I live in NJ, I wonder if we got a different IMG update? I'm on Release 1.9.1, build number 14.47

DITTO!

I'm wondering if the "colors" has anything to do with the model type of the TVs? 

I have 2 Toshiba's.  The "colors" look like the 2nd photo I posted.  However, in checking the 1 Sony tv I have, the "colors" looks exactly like your 2nd photo!

The Toshiba's are self calibrating.  On the Sony I have to manually calibrate.  Tried as I might, I couldn't get the guide "colors" to match the Toshibas.

re: Calibration (since I brought it up)...

Every television is slightly different than the next, in the same way that no two snowflakes or fingerprints are the same.  And, we are talking TV sets, not makes and models, but every individual TV.  The reason is that TVs are made with bins of parts, and the parts all have slight variance in terms of the colors, power, etc.  For that very reason, taking someone's settings from a random forum for, lets say a Samsung LN40D630, and applying them to your very own LN40D630 is sort of like taking the forecast in Calfornia and expecting it to apply to you in NYC.  The only thing positives that those settings that you find on forums probably do is 1) turn off pre-sets such as dynamic picture that warp what the picture was designed to look like and 2) turn brightness (which actually controls black levels) way down and turn backlights way down (both of which are commonly waay too high - and, in fairness, come that way from the manufacturer).  Doing those simply things will make any picture look better.  However, in order to get a truly accurate picture, one needs to do an ISF Calibration (typically a $300-400, 3-4 hour job), in which a calibrator uses $10-15,000 worth of equipment to take all sorts of measurements from your TV and fine tune your picture by going into the backdoor service menu.  Still, one can get a much "true-er" picture than the blue tinted, bight beyond belief picture that 1) big box retailers put on display and 2) are standard pre-sets from the factories by using something like the Disney WOW disc, or the AVS 709 free disc, and taking some time to read through what all of the settings actually mean.

0 Likes
Arenaboi
AlphaB: I am absolutely intrigued and a bit jealous of your new theme lol. Would you mind letting me know what model box you're getting that nice light blue theme on and what state your in and anything else you might think is important. I would really appreciate it. This new guide color is awful and I would love to figure out why you have a nice different one. Even your channels on the left are in black when mine are white and a few other differences besides the obvious color difference. Thanks for any help
0 Likes
AlphaB
Contributor - Level 1

Arenaboi wrote:
 Would you mind letting me know what model box you're getting that nice light blue theme on and what state your in and anything else you might think is important. I would really appreciate it.

My box info:

Platform ID-QIP-2500 P3

Release 1.9.1

Build# 14.47

I live in New Jersey (South Jersey)

HTH

0 Likes
Arenaboi
Oh ok...maybe the 7232 and 7216 and 6416 got the ugly colors and your model got the nice colors. Ah well. Thanks for the input
0 Likes
AlphaB
Contributor - Level 1

@Arenaboi

I was told by a Verizon tech (who was at a neighbor house) that my boxes are an older version & asked if I wanted the upgraded smaller newer version boxes.  He had extras in his truck.  Then he stated that I would be charged a few extra dollers for the upgraded smaller boxes.   I told him no as I never had any issues with my older versions.  Besides, I am not being charged for my "old" boxes.

My motto has always been "don't fix what ain't broken." Woman Tongue

0 Likes
GALICWARRIOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

There has been alot of changes with FIOS that I dislike, since the beginning the communication between the remote and the guide was terrible, but it seems that over the last 3 years they haven't improved anything just made things much worse.  Has anyone seen the new remotes that have two power buttons.  You can't change the channel on your tv anymore making the remote virtually useless if you don't want to watch fios, eventually you will get sick of having to walk up to you tv and change the channel or maybe you will just have to have two remotes to control you tv.  Regardless, when I heard they are cancelling the Funimation Channel it was over for me I'm going to another fiber optics provider.  I suggest you do to, before they make everybody hate them.

0 Likes
GALICWARRIOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not just about proper callibration, when fios makes changes they don't take everyone into consideration.  They try to help the few and forget about the most.  For example their new controllers have two buttons for power STB and TV.  This takes away the controllers ability to change the TV channel since it always changes the STB.  The old controllers were better, they basically said let's help out these people who have problems pushing STB or TV before turning on or off their appliance and forget about everyone one who wants to change the TV channel to LINE, AVI, or HDMI.  They have to change it another way.  These are not improvements, and if they want only people with properly calibrated tv's to watch fios, then they have to get rid of almost everybody.

0 Likes
frank2644
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not so much the guide that's hard to read it's the INFO screens.. I think the light blue background is tyhe problem. Everybody I know who has Fios is complaining about it. Except maybe those with young eyes.

0 Likes
nothappy123

new menu is dreadfull it's all GREY! it's not blue - AWFUL UNREADABLE, APPARENTLY UNFIXABLE, THANKS FIOS. 2yr agreement for this?

Shot at 2012-06-13

This is my new update 1.9.1 as of June 13th 2012

FIX  us THEME CHOICES FIOS!

0 Likes