New house, possible first time FIOS user - DVR question
scottv1

I am buying a house that has FIOS availability.   I have tried searching for DVR recording time but have been unable to find it. 

If someone could answer these questions, that would be great!

1) How large is the hard drive and/or how many hours of SD or HD can you record?

2) Can you use an external SATA drive to expand drive space?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
Re: New house, possible first time FIOS user - DVR question
ConorCoen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Scott, without being in front of my TV I think I am right in saying 20 hours of HD and 100 hours of SD . My first reaction as a new user was that that wasn't enough but it seems to be actually....right now I have 18 recording for 80% capacity ....6 of those are HD movies

this from Verizon 

Can't get enough of your FiOS DVR?

Pretty soon, you'll have the chance to get even more! That is, more DVR storage space so you can record more of your favorite movies and shows.

We're currently in the process of developing options to increase your existing DVR storage capacity, which will be ready early next year.

If you want to be updated when these options become available in your area, please fill out the information below.

I am guessing that was posted last year.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The typical DVR is 160 gb, and the new dvr's which are just hitting the general fios population are 500 gb.   Most new customers are getting the 500 gb hard drives, and the ability to put an extra 1 tb, should be available in first or second quarter of this year.  There is a lot of beta testers for that and they are working out all the bugs.  

0 Likes
Scubaduck

Did you ever get a response regarding increased DVR recording capacity. I switched from Dish to FIOS and while I like FIOS for its integrated package of services (phone, internet, TV) I really HATE the crummy little drive in the DVR.

COME ON FIOS, you can buy a terabyte of storage for under $100 now. Where's the new improved DVR we've been reading about for so long?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The new DVR with 500 GB hard drive has been available for a week or so.

0 Likes